WH40k:RT The tragedy of Stardeath (McDeath porting)

Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader

Asslessman

Ok lads,

This thread is where I'll post my attempt at porting "The Tragedy of McDeath" scenario pack for WHFB (1986) to the universe of Rogue trader.
I will try to transpose its background and history in the futurist 40K universe closely enough so that anyone with the "McDeath" book can play its 40k version with just name changes and alternate settings. I will add that I do not intend to plagiarize and copy/paste the original scenario on this forum but just give equivalents and links to the original pack.

First part to be written will be how I adapt the History (to be expected in the coming weeks)
Then, how to play each character in its futurist version (and of course models used to intrepret them)
Ultimately a battle report if all goes well.

I welcome any idea you might have for the moment, since my first step here will be to go back to the scenario and see what can be done.

one last thing I want to make clear :

THIS THREAD IS INTENDED FOR GMs AND WILL MOST PROBABLY CONTAIN HEAVY SPOILERS.

Though the scenario is 27 years old, the 40k players, younger players or any other might not know it and may want to avoid this thread for their gaming interest.

Asslessman

Thequestingvole actually raised a good point in the fact that refering to the origianl scenario pack might not be the best move. He's right.
This will be heading another way; I'll describe each scenario and provide datasheets thanks to our new spoiler hiding tool (thanks to our most formidable admin).
Now there are two ways I can go with this scenario, one would be towards spaceopera and the other one towards some claustrophobic atmosphere. I'm thinking about the latter for the moment but I intend to keep an open door for the former...

Asslessman

OK, Quick update, I've transfered most of the story , characters and factions to the 40k universe with a satisfying result so far. I'll look into balancing things a bit so that it gives the same outcome as in the original scenario pack.
My main problem now is the writing part. Transposing Shakespeare inspired dialogues with lots of puns into a futuristic setting is somewhat more difficult than I anticipated and though I have no problem with struggling with language and trying to raise my english level a bit, I wouldn't want the poor result that might come from it to ruin the fun of the scenario. If any of you feel like reading what I've written (when it is) or even better feel like writing something, I'll be more than happy to take this help!

Piers B

Funnily enough been thinking of doing the same thing myself. The mix of Orcs and Humans in McDeaths army make it perfect to represent as an errant planetary governor with his household Guard infantry and hired Ork mercs...

The enemy are the relatives of the former administration despatched in MacDeaths 'coup d'etat' and now returning from Imperial service to reclaim their rightful position...

jon_1066

Have you seen Patrick Stewarts film version of Macbeth? It is set in a 1930s fascist state and would be great for the feel of an RT version of this. So I would say keep the Shakespeare but dump the Scottish. So no kilts or highlanders but perhaps Vostroyons and Vodka.

Asslessman

Honetsly, I'm struggling with the Shakespeare the most here, I 've started to port every line to the dark future but it's such a pain and so long it's takking ages really. I should probbaly just ditch everything and start afresh. I'd probabaly struggle doing in French with Molière so It's almost mission : impossible in english with Shakespeare fo rme.

Back