No Rest for the Wicked - A Generic Scenario

No Rest for the Wicked

[introduction story]

Overview
Force Blue has been raiding in the area and has arranged to regroup at this village. The plan is to pillage the village and spend the night drinking and carousing before heading off in the morning. As the scenario begins a small advance guard approaches the village.
Force Red has been warned by locals and is sending forces to defend the valuable crops and protect the village (inn). As the sceario begins the first of the defenders forces approach from the North.

Armies
Both sides army lists should be roughly equal, what will make this scenario interesting is the random entry points for individual units. I would suggest the forces be made up as follows

Force Blue
1 Skirmishers – or any ligtly armed fast moving infantry
2 Infantry – regular melee troops
3 Infantry – regular melee troops
4 Infantry – regular melee troops
5 Infantry – regular melee troops or Missile Troops – whatever type suits your army of choice
6 Missile Troops – whatever type suits your army of choice
7 Cavalry – whatever type suits your army of choice
8 Light Artillery – anything that looks portable and quick to set up.

Force Red
1 Skirmishers – or any ligtly armed fast moving infantry
2 Infantry – regular melee troops
3 Infantry – regular melee troops
4 Infantry – regular melee troops
5 Infantry – regular melee troops or Missile Troops – whatever type suits your army of choice
6 Missile Troops – whatever type suits your army of choice
7 Cavalry – whatever type suits your army of choice
8 Light Artillery – anything that looks portable and quick to set up.

I haven't given numbers of troops in each unit as that should depend on what the opposing forces are. Feel free to adjust as suits - all I would suggest is that the two armies are roughly equal points wise.

Battlefield
All the hills are gentle slopes and are mainly 1 contour high, with the exception of the one at the bend of the river which is 2 contour levels high.
The greenery at the foot of the ridge is scrub and should be impassable to all but skirmishers.
The road is wide enough for a unit to march in column and gain a movement bonus.
The river is fast slowing and has one bridge, where the road crosses it. It can be crossed anywhere along its length but I would suggest that a unit doing so should suffer a moveent penalty and then must spend a turn reorganising itself after emerging from the river I would alos suggest that those of a vertically challenged nature may have additional penalties – I'll leave that up to the players. Artillery may only cross at the bridge.
The fields should be impassalbe to artillery and I would suggest that they be surrounded by walls/hedges that offer cover and break line of sight.
The wood is fairly open and skirmishers should suffer no movement penalties, other infantry move at 3/4 speed and any cavalry at 1/2 speed. Missile ranges should be halved to represent shorter visibility.
The church and graveyard should be surrounded by a stone wall if possible, offering good cover to anyone behind it and movement penalites to anyone trying to cross it.

Deployment
Both armies deploy units 1 & 2 at the start of the game. Force Blue enters at point 4 and Force Red at point 2. For the first turn both sides are unaware if each others presence and must advance along the road towards the bridge. After that the players may move them as they wish.
The remaining units begin arriving from turn 3. Each player rolls for where each unit enters. On 2-5 they arrive on the road along their side of the board, on a 1 the point to thleft on a 6 the point to the right.

If you want to make the game more random roll a d6 for each unit; on a 1-3 it fails to turn up, on a 4-6 it arrives. If it fails roll again next turn increasing the chance of its arrival by 1. This can result in multiople units arriving at once or none at all.

Special Rules
n/a

Victory Conditions
Force Blue must have unopposed possession of the village anf the ridge by the end of the battle. They have achieved an overwhelming victory if they also control the bridge.
Force Red deny the enemy victory if they can prevent the enemy from holding the village and they ridge. They must however control the land north of the river and the bridge to win.
Any other result is a draw.

Attachments

• Scenario 1 Map.jpg
    Scenario 1 Map.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,820

Dreamfish

Administrator
Re: An Oldhammer Scenario for anyone

John,I moved your scenario to our new scenario section. I reformatted it to comply with our newly set-up guidelines. Could you please give it a title?

Back