Magnetizing a mix of slotta and pre-slotta

Hi everyone!

I have plans of magnetizing a unit consisting of a mix of slotta and pre-slotta models. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice on a smart way to do this. I haven't attached any of the models to their bases yet, and I haven't bought any magnets or movement trays yet. So I am open to any method that will make great looking results :)

The main decissions are 1) what kind of bases I should use for the pre-slotta models and 2) what kind of magnets I should use for those.

The first "problem" is that the metal base of the pre-slotta models might make them look strange and tall if attached to the same kind of bases as the slotta models.

The second problem is that if I attach the pre-slottas to completely flat bases (in order to make them look less tall/strange), it would be more difficult to attach the magnets beneath these bases.

Oh, and if anyone of you Oldhammerers has made some mixed slotta/pre-slotta units, pictures of them would be very much appreciated :grin:

Gallivantes

To negate the extra height of the integral pre-slotta bases you could maybe sink one of the magnets into those bases and not do so for the slotta figures? This would even out the height difference a bit. By sinking I mean drill a hole to match the diameter of the magnet, pop it in and glue it in place, flush with the top of the base.

I recently put together an ogre unit with mixed slotta/preslotta bases and didn't experience this to be problem. It was however a case of deliberately wanting a ragtag mob feel and my basing style by default appreciates a bit of an undulating feel to the ground of a unit. Maybe you're after neat rank and file on seemingly flat ground so then yeah, of course I see your dilemma :)

My ogre unit is here http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8794&start=64
Preslotta bases are (rear rank) 3, 5 (mid rank) 4, 6 (front rank) 2, 7

Thank you for the advice, Gallivantes. I think using the same type of bases for both might be the best solution - and then try to hide the height difference as much as possible. I like that the even sides of the bases are equally tall.

On your miniatures, the height difference doesn't really show (at least not as anything other than a rugged terrain). So I might consider making the bases a bit more rocky than usually. But then again, it's a Greenskin army that I'm creating, so it doesn't have to be all too neat ;) I'll definitely have to try out a few different methods before I settle completely.

By the way, if anyone could recommend any specific types of magnets and movement trays - and where to buy them - it would be very much appriciated too :)

Glue the pre slotta models to some thin ferrous metal sheet. Put the magnets on the tray not the base.

Saves hacking up the old models or ruining them by trying to shove stuff in holes. A simple method would be steel washers stuck under slotta bases, which will then make the unit match, have nice bases etc. Or thin sheet with slottas glued on top.

Its pretty easy to gouge out slotta bases, so if you have a thin steel sheet stuck on the bottom, then cut a hole for the pre-slotta model in the sotta base. This way you can sink the chunky cast on metal bases down into a hole gouged out of the cheap plastic slotta bases, with thin steel or washers to grab the magnetic movement tray.

ramshackle_curtis":1cpsix0h said:
Glue the pre slotta models to some thin ferrous metal sheet. Put the magnets on the tray not the base. Or stick the magnets in the space left under the base.

Saves hacking up the old models or ruining them by trying to shove stuff in holes. A simple method would be steel washers stuck under slotta bases, which will then make the unit match, have nice bases etc. Or thin sheet with slottas glued on top.

Its pretty easy to gouge out slotta bases, so if you have a thin steel sheet stuck on the bottom, then cut a hole for the pre-slotta model in the sotta base. This way you can sink the chunky cast on metal bases down into a hole gouged out of the cheap plastic slotta bases, with thin steel or washers to grab the magnetic movement tray.

Make movement trays yourself. Easy to do out of plasticard and styrene rod, or recycled sprue for beveled edges ;)

Wow, that was some pretty good ideas, Curtis! I had never considered cutting a "pre-slotta-shaped" hole in the slotta base, but yes, that would indeed make the slottas and pre-slottas perfectly aligned.

I never heard of styrene rod before, but after googling "styrene rod movement trays" I've found a few nice tutorials to check out :)

Now the only problem is to decide whose good advice I should follow :grin:

ardyer

The extra height from the integral base just serves to make the generally smaller pre-slotta models look as tall as the slotta models.

As far as bases go, both Gale force 9 and litko make magnetic basing systems that might be easiest to use. If you're just planning on flying magnets to the underside of the base, you have to be careful as some magnets are stronger than super glue.

Back