RT plastic old-marines Deathguard

Here is the Deathguard force I made for last summers Oldhammer gaming. Its designed to work with modern 40k and RT, but I still havent played modern with it!

I decided to have the force lead by Nisk Ran Thawll, the commander of the Mentor Legion (from the picture) as I had the model painted in the old army, and thought the colours matched the Deathguard. Its a kind of "where is he now? Oh, corrupted by Nurgle (or is he?)" kind of narrative.

Anyway, on with the photos:

army.jpg

commander-and-helper.jpg

plague.jpg

storm.jpg

fimm.jpg

bikes.jpg

abomination.jpg

transport.jpg

Some play markers. I hammered this force with Rogue Trader over the summer and used these markers for that. They are 2 warp stone shards and 2 piles of greater unclean-one do-do (made from cocopops in resin ;) )

markers.jpg

Here are the bare models, I think I posted them here before?

unpaint_beakies.jpg

unpaint_bikes.jpg

unpaint_commander.jpg

unpaint_plague.jpg

unpaint_storm.jpg

Subedai

Gloriously disgusting looking force! Never felt Death Guard and bikes went together, but on those trikes of yours they totally work. The rice crispy piles are revolting - genius.

Hmm, I dont really know the Deathguard fiction, I just went on what I wanted to game with. I always liked bikes and done have any in my marine army, so thought I would bash some out. They are pretty nippy in Rogue Trader.

Subedai

No idea about the background either, just always felt they looked too... nimble for Nurgle. But those bullish looking trikes are great. Lovely/horrible tankettes too.

symphonicpoet

Now that is flash! . . . (In a very grim and corroded sort of way.) Well done Curtis! As Subedei said, the bikes are awesome. And I love the marines with your gas mask heads.

Really cool Curtis!

Your really the king at weathering mate. I don't think I've seen stuff rusted up to buggery like the way you do without it becoming an incoherent pile of rust. Expect you brain to be picked when I catch up with you :grin:

That Boss man looks ace! You sculpted him completely yeah? Top job :)

I like the Daemon too, nice pincer. What's he based off of? Or is he an entirely new sculpt?

I don't think I'll be able to look at my Cocopops the same way again either :lol:

Thanks!

The commander is not all sculpted by me. I made a conversion years ago, cut up a prototype terminator and stuck on a plastic marine torso, with araldite. It was a complex conversion for me at the time, like age 13 or something. Anyway, when I stripped the army last year the araldite wasnt going anywhere! SO I decided to remake the conversion. I had painted it as Mentor Legion guy, which was why I painted him that way again, sort of an update on my 26 year old conversion! SO the torso, arms, legs head and backpack are all genuine citadel metal and plastic. I just added the shoulderpade, knee pads and a bit of general conversion.

The dreadnought demon is one of my own, I sell it on my site:
http://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index ... cts_id=528

I also took some better images of my favourite marines and bikers.

largefigs.jpg

largebikes.jpg

Gallivantes

You just gotta love a good Nurgle force :) Great weathering and Claw guy rocks.

People are talking about Rice Krispies, is that really what you used for modelling those heaps on there? Is that Superglue? The effect is revolting, congratulations :grin:

Yes, although I used the chocolate ones, coco pops, or at least the Aldi version! I just mixed them with some plain old polyester resin, the same as for fiberglass making. You can get it from any decent DIY shop. Its great fun. It dries a sort of cloudy translucent, so looks like really gross polluted water, or stomach slime. I blobbed it on, then when set I added a bit more. It did run down over the base edges though, and they are a bit messy.

I also used bran flakes for the bases. Cereal is great for basing as it is cheap and has lovely textures. I like it too that its easy to make something that looks really yukky but at the same time is made from yummy food!

Zhu Bajie

Suitably disgusting! Marines with Fimir styled helmets, cycloptic mutations or fimir heads, or all of the above?

ramshackle_curtis":1wfqwchh said:
. Anyway, when I stripped the army last year the araldite wasnt going anywhere!

I've had success freezing the model - the araldite goes very brittle and can be snapped off quite easily.

Gallivantes

Yes, although I used the chocolate ones, coco pops

Brilliant. Thinking outside the box, using things inside the box. Your work is a pile of sh*t, it's perfect.

I am running out of puns, if there was an emote of an oriental bow of respect, it would go in these brackets : :

Zhu Bajie":1xktq2vu said:
Suitably disgusting! Marines with Fimir styled helmets, cycloptic mutations or fimir heads, or all of the above?

I cast these fimorian heads out for Mark, so have the moulds. I asked if I could use them one these models. The idea of a beaked head, mixed with the one eye like a plague bearer really made me think it would work. They are a little large, but I think the effect is fun and "Realm of Chaosy" enough to tickle my fancy!

I sent these bad boys toe to toe against some REAL fimir at BOYL last year. Geoff ran a four player 3rd ed Fimir-off. They got trounced!

Back