Stripping Figures

General questions & discussion involving all things painting, modeling & photography. 

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: Stripping Figures

Dettol for the win. Soak for a day, use to softest toothbrush you can find to strip the outer layers. Then soak again. I use a fresh batch of dettol normally ( so have two pots of it).

Acetone tends to evaporate too quickly and is fumey. You can also get solvent sensitivity if you use it too much.

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:46 am

Brown crystal soap. Works on both metal and plastic. It's cheap. It doesn't smell. It's non toxic (although I use plastic gloves as it it can be a bit rough on the skin with continued use).
It takes a bit longer to work, though. Normally, I leave the figures for a minimum of 48 hours.

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:04 pm

I use to be a dettol man but recently tried Clean Spirit (water based white spirit) and I have to say I much prefer it. Smells less, less yukie gunk,strips better and leaves no residue. I have only one minature it’s not stripped well, a plastic marine received in a job lot. Tried everything on it but it just won’t strip. It’s like it was painted in superglue!!

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:11 pm

Tried the Wilco paint stripper as recommended on here. Smells and looks the same as Biostrip 20 but cheap as chips, £3 a bottle. Works just as good on metal and plastic! Very happy about that there saving money thing. Thanks

Post Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:07 pm

As of today having used the above wilko stuff on some new modern minis, I don't recommend it! No no no.

It wrecks them. Makes them soft that brushing off old paint smears the detail and brittle that fingers and hands snap off. That's just killed my 25th anniversary marine and Pedro Kantor. Be warned.

Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:49 pm

JonAtron wrote:As of today having used the above wilko stuff on some new modern minis, I don't recommend it! No no no.

It wrecks them. Makes them soft that brushing off old paint smears the detail and brittle that fingers and hands snap off. That's just killed my 25th anniversary marine and Pedro Kantor. Be warned.

Was it plastic or metal? I have been better bunch of metal minis I am looking to strip and was thinking of using Wilko stripper.

Post Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:57 am

JonAtron wrote: That's just killed my 25th anniversary marine and Pedro Kantor. Be warned.

Finecast by the sound of it... not a great idea to dunk that in paint stripper, no.

Tex

Post Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Finecast doesn't even stand up to pure air, let alone chemicals :roll:

Post Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:14 pm

Ahhh lads, :oops: just been doing some homework on it and yes you are quite right, resin not plastic.

MY very big mistake and not the PRODUCT per say.

They took one for the team, I'm hoping that whats left of them will harden up over time so I can pick off the rest of the paint and resculpt the missing bits. But for now, they are too floppy.

Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:28 pm

Hopefully you will be able to salvage something! I decided to try two batches one using Dettol and the other using the Wilko paint stripper and see how they both go.
PreviousNext

Return to Painting & Modeling