GS question?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there are any tricks to blending the edges of GS to lead? Or the joins between old & new GS?

ardyer

People better than I can probably give better advice, but I make a slurry with GW's liquid greenstuff and water and "paint" the edges with it to give them.

Yeah, I knew that trick Ardyer....I use it to add texture as well.

But I was wondering if there's a "trick" with GS? So I don't have to use a secondary product to fix the division line.

Thanks for the helpful tip none the less Ardyer :)

Asslessman

My only advice would be to use a yellow heavy mix (blue heavy mixes being better for structural parts. Clay shapers used to push the putty towards the joint often work well. In case there're still some things to clean, a little sadning with fine grain and I'm good.

AndrewMay

Try adding a small amount of polymer clay (Fimo/sculpy), say 5% to your GS. This may even help your sculpting in general as it removes some of the putty's "memory" and extends working time. For feathering edges I tend to use a dental tool to firmly but gently blend, use a "buffing" motion (lots of little circular movements) along the seam.

urion

^^^ I agree. I just use a little water on the tip of a silicone paint sharper and smooth it down till it blends.

Thanks guys :grin:

I'll stop wasting my saliva on silly things like swallowing, now that I know that there's a higher purpose for it :lol:

Crowmire

AndrewMay":350keakq said:
Try adding a small amount of polymer clay (Fimo/sculpy), say 5% to your GS. This may even help your sculpting in general as it removes some of the putty's "memory" and extends working time. For feathering edges I tend to use a dental tool to firmly but gently blend, use a "buffing" motion (lots of little circular movements) along the seam.

I've done fair bit of sculpting and it is the first time I hear about this. Thanks, will try it! Does this have any impact on durablity? I've done some sculpting with pure fimo as well, and if left unbacked for too long, it starts to crumble.

AndrewMay

Keep it to a low percentage and it's fine, I sometimes add just a tiny amount (like a light scrape with my finger nail). Try a few test pieces if you're worried.

Asslessman":w7q76msh said:
My only advice would be to use a yellow heavy mix (blue heavy mixes being better for structural parts. Clay shapers used to push the putty towards the joint often work well. In case there're still some things to clean, a little sadning with fine grain and I'm good.

Tried the heavy yellow mix JB, worked a treat!

Cheers :grin:

Back