Hot air and hard plastic

Fimm McCool

Hi guys. I'm prepping some units for the BFG at BOYL this ear and need to bend some plastic Heroquest minis so they rank up. I know this can be done, I have several in my collection which were reposed when I bought them, and having previously spent ages cutting and resculpting areas I'm keen to try a quicker way! Anyone done it? I tried boiling water a-la Reaper Bones, but didn't work, I guess because the plastic is significantly harder than the Bones stuff. I've heard hair dryers are good, but don't want to melt the minis! Any advice warmly (haha!) received.

Chico

I've bent a fair few of my HQ Fimir using both a hair dryer and a lighter. A couple of problems with this though as the HQ plastic is random as feck.. sometimes it's soft and others it's hard and brittle (As you no doubt know from clipping bases) it all becomes hit and miss and not very controlled.

I did find a easy way to heat bend though, a heatbox.

Get a cardboard box lid (I use a small GW box lid which is also my spray box so a thick layer of black is on it hehe) and sit it just above a convection heater with the fig placed inside but make sure you watch it at all times as fire is bad ;). The figure will heat up but not by direct heat and more slowly so it's more controlled,

I use this method to reshape Restic and cut off there bases :)

Boil the kettle and hold the model (as much of the area you're trying to bend anyway) in the steam for a moment. Best to use tongs to hold the model. I've used it to straighten spears but nothing major.

Fimm McCool

I tried the kettle, but to no avail. This is my usual method for straightening plastic, but I think it only works on certain types. The HQ minis are 'hard' plastic and unaffected.

In the end I gave 'em 15 minutes in the over at 50 degrees. A bit of distortion here and there but made them nice and flexible. :)

Back