Undercoat query.

Hi guys,

I used a new undercoat from a craft spray can a few weeks ago on my Space Wolves and it came out extremely matte. I'm not complaining about this fact, just wondered if it's a desirable result? I know some painters are really impressed when they use a primer that yields a very smooth finish, but wouldn't it be better to have a slightly rough texture to the undercoat....for subsequent paint application benefits? I'm not talking about a chalky or "rough as guts" finish, just a little rough ;)

What do you guys think? I know there's a few of you on here that are kick arse painters so I'm really interested to know your thoughts on this subject.

ardyer

You want some roughness, so the paint has something to stick to. But if it's too rough, that texture shows through your layers.

Now, if you paint straight from the pot, you probably won't notice it unless it's really rough (like when the paint dries before hitting the model). It's mostly a concern when you're using really thin layers.

Thanks Ardyer,

I suppose I'll find out how rough this particular undercoat is when I finally apply some paint to it.

Anyone else care to add to this topic?

Scalene

I rarely bother to undercoat at all. For plastic I tend to drybrush on some white acrylic to stop the base coat 'recoiling', by which I mean pulling back into puddles because of lack of adhesion to the surface. Mainly this is because I'm too lazy to spray stuff rather than some specific technical reason.

Yeah, I think the undercoating process is a bit like buttering bread, we all do it "just coz that's what you do".

I get your point about the recoiling too, seen it happen when I've applied it to unpainted minis myself. I've always wanted to try to paint an armoured dude up without undercoating him to set if there was any benefit. Should give it a go I think :)

Cheers Scalene.

Blue in VT

I use Dark Gray automotive Primer for this reason....it comes out extremely matte and with a very fine amount of texture that I feel holds paint well but doesn't show through the final paint.

Cheers,

Blue

Jeff McC

I've had good luck with Rust-oleum's camouflage line. Very flat with a dark brown and a tan that both work nicely as base coats.

zoggin-eck

I use a dead-flat black and follow with two stages of brown drybrushes. This is more for the colour, but it kind of does add an amount of texture.

I swear by Tamiya Surface Primer and Fine Surface Primer on metals and plastic but for any resin (after well washed) it gets a dusting of Grey Auto Primer before a nice Tamiya Surface Primer finish. Haven't had any issues with this combo. This gives a nice neutral grey start and then I usually wash with a diluted black brown mix for everything- it's not quite as harsh as a black base but still has a similar effect.

For the few figures I've started to paint since my restart, I've used halfords grey primer, simply cos I had some. I then slap some Khorne red on and I think it looks nice and smooth.

As I'm probably settled on a deep red as the main colour for a good chunk of marines (a mix of metal and plastic 'dettol recovered' stuff), would it be better to start off with a red primer (something like Army Painter chaotic red) or to stick with trusty halfords grey followed by a couple of thin coats of my chosen red? Spraying a red primer sounds like it'll save a good chunk of time?

Back