Devlan Mud

OuteRimTim

I once had a pot of Devlan Mud. It was great stuff, for lots of reasons. Games workshop stopped making it. I'm disappointed.
Does anyone know the reasons why they stopped?
Or know anything else about this stuff?
Also is there a remake, ala the Coat'd'Arms range of Citadel Colour paints?
Maybe this doesn't count as oldhammer, but I'm curious and thought to ask you knowledgable folks.
Thanks

ogryn

Its not the same. Different formulation I guess. When dry, it has burnt mat finish and is thick in its pigment or something, so its heavier. I do not care for it at all. I will not even use it on other peoples models.

Does anybody have a replacement for charadon granite?
Love that color, used it on everything. I have not been able to find a color even close. Gw's replacement is not even close either.
Any help?

fuljason

Although I do still have a couple of tubs of Devlan mud, I do find that Army painter Strong Tone is an excellent replacement I use it often but shake it well and do not let the ink pool too deep or it will dry white and you will end up with lots of white spots in the recesses which will need blacking out. I find Agrax Earthshade a lot different to Devlan Mud/Strong tone, it runs off into the recesses better and is more transparent, still a good product I use it often on miniatures with brighter paint jobs.

ardyer

ogryn":2eajbnlq said:
Its not the same. Different formulation I guess. When dry, it has burnt mat finish and is thick in its pigment or something, so its heavier. I do not care for it at all. I will not even use it on other peoples models.

Love that color, used it on everything. I have not been able to find a color even close. Gw's replacement is not even close either.
Any help?
I was speaking to someone at gw about chardon granite the other day. I was told that it was never supposed to be the color it ended up, that's why the so called replacement does match at all...that was the color it was supposed to be (storm vermin gray, maybe?)

ogryn":1yx0w8zs said:

Any help?

Closest thing to Charadon Granite I found was VMC US Olive Drab (70889 or 091 depending on which code your favourite online retailer uses for searches). It's slightly different, a touch browner perhaps, a little lighter so it might not be your thing but it's the best match straight from the pot in my opinion.

When I was searching for replacements for the old Foundation range years ago I came across a table someone had put together that matched up all the GW colours with their VGC equivalents. I actually bought the full range of Vallejo Extra Opaques based on that as they were listed as being the best match. Turns out whoever put the list together had clearly never compared the colours and had just proxied them probably based on names or the usually horrendously inaccurate online colour swatches. Khemri Brown or whatever it was (really useful light khaki/sand) got matched up with Heavy Warmgrey which is a bizarre pinky/purple light grey! :roll:

ardyer

stone cold lead":2onct611 said:
When I was searching for replacements for the old Foundation range years ago I came across a table someone had put together that matched up all the GW colours with their VGC equivalents. I actually bought the full range of Vallejo Extra Opaques based on that as they were listed as being the best match. Turns out whoever put the list together had clearly never compared the colours and had just proxied them probably based on names or the usually horrendously inaccurate online colour swatches. Khemri Brown or whatever it was (really useful light khaki/sand) got matched up with Heavy Warmgrey which is a bizarre pinky/purple light grey! :roll:

I think a lot of those lists are put together based on the general principle that vallejo's game color line matches the old GW lines, but there are a lot that don't. Dark fleshtone is nowhere near as red as the the old GW dark flesh. And I've also seen the Heavy Warmgray matched up with the old Dheneb Stone (another shade with no real replacement :( ).

ardyer":3a6mgjk2 said:
And I've also seen the Heavy Warmgray matched up with the old Dheneb Stone (another shade with no real replacement :( ).

That was the one! Not bloody Khemri whatever. I loved Dheneb stone.

Back