Amazonia Gothique- my bi-yearly sculpting challenge!

Fimm McCool

In 2014 I decided to have a go at sculpting one of my favourite pieces of art, John Blanche's Gothic Amazon.
There have been a couple of versions of this sculpt released over the years. The limited edition GW one of course, followed by the 'space amazon' and a number of slaaneshi champions who seem to share common ancestry. Hasselfree also released a derivative recently. I'm not a big fan of any of them though, I don't feel they quite capture the essence of the painting. Hence deciding it would be a nice project to try out.
I don't have a photo of the first to hand, but if I find it I'll post it. I was happy with her pose, but my sculpting skills were a bit 'soft' back then so I decided every other year I would sculpt the Gothic Amazon to keep tabs on my progress. This year I have just finished mk2, using the legs from the original as a base because I was quite happy with the boots I did first time round. Here she is:

12983790_10153967559242279_6770036734619208252_o.jpg

In hindsight using the whole of the legs has caused a bit of an issue with her right thigh, because I wanted to rework the shape it has become quite chunky whereas the illustration has very slender legs. This will be something I aim to improve upon next time. Overall I'm very happy though and pleased to see some progress is being made! Stay tuned for two years' time when the next one appears!!!

Fimm McCool

Nice painting there. I haven't seen that Amazon painting before, curiously similar pose! Might have to have a go at her next... Ratspike is still very much on my 'to get' list!

A quick comparison...

Attachments

• amazonia.jpg
    amazonia.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 2,347

Harry

That really is great work.
I think you would have to abandon the original eggs below the bow to have any chance of matching the original artwork. But that is the closest anyone has come yet ... including the original citadel mini. :grin:

Fimm McCool

Harry":1emtdbyv said:
That really is great work.
I think you would have to abandon the original eggs below the bow to have any chance of matching the original artwork. But that is the closest anyone has come yet ... including the original citadel mini. :grin:

It's odd. In my first attempt I went for the extreme turnout her legs are in painting, but it's just unnatural. I know she's chaos, but with her feet turned at 180 degrees like that she'd be really easy to push over... the pose just looked wrong. Well, next time I sculpt her I will try again.

Back