Fur veins?

Hi guys,

I've got a couple of painting techniques that I'd like some advice on please.

1/ How do you do veins? Like, really obvious, varicose or gangrenous one's?

2/ How would you go about painting fur on a flat surface? Trying to make something look furry that's not?

Cheers in advance :)

I haven't tried painting any of those, but I have a few ideas of how it could be done:

1) Veins: I would make a mix of the skin color and purple, dilute it and make a few more or less "snake"-shaped patterns on the skin with some shorter "branches" added at the lower end of the pattern. Then I would dilute the original skin color and add a transparent layer of this, varying the amount of paint used to make the opacity of the skin color vary. (Of course you would need to adjust this technique, depending on what type of flesh you are painting (human, orc, etc.) and on how you make your shadings and highlights)

2) Fur: I would paint the whole area with a basecoat (say Bestial Brown), then maybe (and just maybe) define smaller areas with a darker color. Then I would use a lighter color and paint small, thin stripes and lifting the brush when ending each stripe, so that each stripe gets thinner in one end.

I'll try and add a few quick sketches I just made in Paint. They are of course exaggerated but they should give the overall idea :)

Attachments

• Painting fur.png
    Painting fur.png
    111 KB · Views: 1,832
  • Painting veins.png
    Painting veins.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,832

Asslessman

for veins I usually go with a slight blue glaze with either inks or blue (I do prefer with a greyish blue) over the finsihed skin, I can still come back with skin tone after that if the blue is too strong.

For fur, i'd select 3 sahed of teh colour I want and make samll lines 1st set with teh darker shade being broad and then each following step being thinner and lighter. It works wonders to create th eillusion of wood on flat surfaces and will work the same for fur. Line just need to be random but with the rigt length.

The veins is just a question of colour I think. I should be able to have a go at it now, thanks :)

The fur though it's a little trickier. It's more a matter of technique.

Does anyone know of any online tutorials on the actual process of painting fur?

Thanks for your tips JB :grin:

Thanks Badaab,

If completely forgotten about when Sproket did that guy. I agree, his tutorials are very well done, lots of detailed photos of the step by step process & good explanations.

Cheers :)

Back