[3-10-19] Willmark's Dark Elf Army Blog- Project Rebirth

Re: [12-17-17] Willmark's Dark Elf Army Blog- Project Rebirt

Wow! That looks splendid. You do these good old Dark Elf sculpts justice. But you need to copy-paste your progress into an OT CDO log as well. 8-)

Willmark

Karak Norn Clansman":13pplckx said:
Wow! That looks splendid. You do these good old Dark Elf sculpts justice. But you need to copy-paste your progress into an OT CDO log as well. 8-)
Nah I've made a conscious decision to have the Dark Elfs here and my Wood Elfs on my blog. The bigger question is to the Dogs of War and my Nippon Army.

Willmark

While I haven't updated the thread in a while, I have been hard at work on repainting my Dark Elf Force.As with the other units I'm continuing with the purple and green color scheme and now a simple diamond shape a unifying shape for the Host. Since the photos I have been working on "tightening" up the lines of the diamond shapes

Here is the completed unit of 20 strong Mengil Manhide's Manflayers. I had 12 of them and I was able to purchase the remaining 8 I needed in one fell swoop of eBay. I finished them a while back and here they are:
dark_elf_mengil_manhide2.jpg

dark_elf_mengil_manhide3.jpg

dark_elf_mengil_manhide4.jpg

dark_elf_mengil_manhide5.jpg

I also have a another repeating bolt thrower which I'll post shortly. Next up is another unit of 20 crossbowmen along with 20 Witch Elves and the war altar nearing completion as well.

After that?
* 8 Helldrakes (probably will go to 10) and included my general, a mounted wizard and the army standard bearer.
* 8 Spiders
* 20 Warriors, these have been lower priority as I don't have the last three warriors needed. I did at one time but stupidly traded them away...
* Another hound unit, need the handler.
* Temple Dog and Rider
* Another unit of 12 crossbowmen (left overs from trades).
* A Dragon rider

A unit of armored Doomsteeds is a thought but VERY expensive on eBay...

EDIT: after reading through the thread I noted that I'll post the hobgoblins of which I have 20... they can be found here: http://chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthrea ... #pid283106

symphonicpoet

Re: [3-3-19] Willmark's Dark Elf Army Blog- Project Rebirth

That's a properly ominous looking bunch there. A bright and cheerful sort of evil. Nice!

Willmark

Re: [3-3-19] Willmark's Dark Elf Army Blog- Project Rebirth

Yet another unit of crossbowmen coming off the painting desk!

This unit I kept a bit brighter in color but continues the same green and purple color scheme.

Of primary note is the standard obviously. Like my Nippon army over at Dogs of War Online I make sure all of my armies can be used across editions. In this case I took another attempt at the standard. Unfortunately I don't have photos of the previous one but the premise is the same. In their far ranging raids and the crossbowmen in particular the War Host's sorcerers enchanted a scarecrow from a farmer's field in Bretonnia to ward off would be attackers from the air (a common occurrence on 5th edition Warhammer games on archers and artillery units).

The relevant magic item is the Scarecrow Banner from (page 43 of the 5th Edition Warhammer Magic Book):
Causes terror in flying creatures. Unit is immune to terror caused by flying creatures. The unit receives a +D6 combat resolution bonus when fighting flying creatures.

The fact that a dark elf crossbowmen unit can't carry a magic standard in 5th edition is immaterial to me. Its not like the 5th edition Warhammer police will be knocking on my door... Plus when I do play its 3rd edition anyways; in that edition its just a cool, normal banner.

dark_elf_crossbowmen10.jpg

dark_elf_crossbowmen11.jpg

dark_elf_crossbowmen12.jpg

dark_elf_crossbowmen13.jpg

Let me know what you think gang.

Dark Rider

Re: [1-29-17] Willmark's Dark Elf Army Blog- Project Rebirth

Willmark":mhy30pg9 said:
UPDATE
Still working on the dark elf altar but as I come close to finishing it, I also have been striping paint of my first infantry unit. A few years back when I got into Oldhammer I traded away a few of the members this unit and hence the gaps. I don't really mind however as they were ones I liked the least. I've identified the ones I want (and are now in my want/trade threads). So as they stand they are now at 18 members. I just recently got the dark elf champion from the BC2 Monsters box set (i.e. the Evil Dark Elf Captain). He had a journey that took over a month to reach me and I even got a refund for him via the seller. Two days after the refund, of course he arrived thus being the good chap that I am... I paid for him! (very un-dark elf like) ;) Of course a few days later I got a good deal on another one which is en-route, so now I have two... :roll: Ah well, the other is going to be assigned as crew man for my chariot.

The second infantry unit as noted previous will be Menghil Manhide's bulked out to 20. The witch elves will be at 20 as well and the horde also employs a unit of 20 hobgoblins... so good to go on the infantry side...

I'm not sure when they will go under the brush as it were as you'll see with the next unit...

dark_elf_warriors1.jpg

While stripping the paint from the warriors and the witch elves I also dunked the Doomsteeds unit I have consisting of 10. Unfortunately, these are the "bastard blister" ones http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/File:MM72-18.jpg: Marauder minis which is great, but these are the ones that GW bundled with Empire horses meaning they don't sit on the steeds perfectly. I'm less concerned with the fact they don't have barding (I could sculpt it if I wanted to). The metal Doomsteads are great, but there is no variation in the poses really, plus they cost a ton on eBay now. So I stripped the riders and decided to repaint and touch up the steeds. Some I went for black, but some I wanted to keep a more high elven gray or brown simulating the fact they were stolen from high elf lands in raids.

Here they are in their early stages of being painted.
dark_elf_doomsteeds1.jpg

Next is a manticore. Now I know every dark elf army has to have a hydra for a monstrous host but this guy sans wings served as a temple dog for years. Fortunately I saved the wings and converted him back to a monster and put him on a 50mm base rather then try and shoehorn him onto a 40mm...

dark_elf_manticore.jpg

Lastly, I haven't decided if my general will be in the as yet uncompleted chariot which I'm converting to be pulled by cold ones rather then horses. I have a converted leader for one of my cold one units that could fill in... Tied to this is my army standard bearer. I have one but its banner is directly out of the 5th edition Warhammer book mounted on a metal steed. I think it will go to the display shelf and I'll create a suitable 3rd edition one, possibly mounted on a cold one.

Dark Rider

Re: [8-5-17] Willmark's Dark Elf Army Blog- Project Rebirth

Willmark":3dqai2li said:
As discussed the Dark Riders are more or less complete. As I noted up-thread the horses mainly just needed to be touched up and the riders were stripped and repainted.

I toyed with using them as Doom Riders but settled on Dark Riders. I think they fit the unit type better. Of course that means down the road I'll need to purchase Doomsteeds off of eBay which cost a LOT of $$$$$.

Anyways here they are. I finished them about a week ago, and the banner just this AM.
dark_elf_dark_riders1.jpg

dark_elf_dark_riders2.jpg

dark_elf_dark_riders3.jpg

dark_elf_dark_riders4.jpg

Next up I just finished a unit of Whelp Masters with 5 warhounds and handler. Another unit of 5 are underway, but the handler is a 4th edition marauder minis which I don't really like, looks like I'll need to get another 3rd Edition one... Also I have a unit of 10 Shadows nearing completion as well as a unit of 10 Doomdrakes currently being painted; in short lots of stuff underway!

Those look great, I like the colour scheme. I have 7of the "bastard" doomsteeds I am working on with the overly large Empire plastic horses. Any tips on how to get them to fit on the horses?

Willmark

Re: [8-5-17] Willmark's Dark Elf Army Blog- Project Rebirth

Dark Rider":2btv79lb said:
Willmark":2btv79lb said:
As discussed the Dark Riders are more or less complete. As I noted up-thread the horses mainly just needed to be touched up and the riders were stripped and repainted.

I toyed with using them as Doom Riders but settled on Dark Riders. I think they fit the unit type better. Of course that means down the road I'll need to purchase Doomsteeds off of eBay which cost a LOT of $$$$$.

Anyways here they are. I finished them about a week ago, and the banner just this AM.
dark_elf_dark_riders1.jpg

dark_elf_dark_riders2.jpg

dark_elf_dark_riders3.jpg

dark_elf_dark_riders4.jpg

Next up I just finished a unit of Whelp Masters with 5 warhounds and handler. Another unit of 5 are underway, but the handler is a 4th edition marauder minis which I don't really like, looks like I'll need to get another 3rd Edition one... Also I have a unit of 10 Shadows nearing completion as well as a unit of 10 Doomdrakes currently being painted; in short lots of stuff underway!

Those look great, I like the colour scheme. I have 7of the "bastard" doomsteeds I am working on with the overly large Empire plastic horses. Any tips on how to get them to fit on the horses?
No matter what you do they wont fit perfectly. They weren't really intended for each other as you are no doubt aware.

Best you can do is bend the legs out slightly and lightly trim the horse to get a better fit.

Back