[9-4-17] Willmark's Dark Elf Army Blog- Project Rebirth

General questions & discussion involving all things painting, modeling & photography. 

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:57 am

[9-4-17] Willmark's Dark Elf Army Blog- Project Rebirth

NOTE
Originally this started as a catch all thread. I've since re-purposed it to chronicle the repainting of my third edition dark elf force. I'm also copying over my witch elf war altar that was in a separate thread too.

I originally painted it in 1992 and has stayed in that form for 25 years, but no more. In mid 2016 I started stripping down and reorganizing the force. Noting which minis I wanted to exclude as I'm focusing solely on citadel and marauder minis from the right time period. So out were my plastic dark elf warriors from the 4th/5th edition days.

The entire army did not need to be redone but a good chunk of it does/ Some like my unit of 10 Cold One Knights just needs the mounts touched up but the Knights are a different story. In some cases like my crossbowmen they needed a full tear down and redo.

As time progresses you'll see more work here as I add.

Original Post
Dark Elf Chariots, now I've probably read that section on page 32 of Warhammer Armies quite a few times before but never really paid it much mind. Chariots for dark elf heroes, but no rank and file entry in 3rd edition? Every army that allows for chariots for characters has a rank and file entry to correspond, consider:

Woodies= Wain Lords
High Elves= Warwains
Orcs and Goblins+ Orc and Goblin Battle chariots
Undead= Undead chariots
Chaos is another odd-man out as there are models for it but no rules (although listed in a bit more detail in Slaves to Darkness). In fact Dark elfs are the opposite of chaos= in the rules but no models.

Now I get that GW did this all the time (chaso dwarf juggernaught anyone?), but just exactly how does rules for dark elf characters work? You can place your general in a chariot but what then? The best solution I've come up with is to look to the wood and high elf entries and make some educated guesses, especially the high elf one.

128 points for a chariot (although reduce if only pulled by two mounts)
Crew 2 or 4?
warhorses or cold ones
Uses stat line for dark elf warriors for crew members.

scythed wheels for 20 points
one rider may have a crossbow (7 pts) or repeating crossbow (8 pts)
Any crew member may have a shield 8 pts.
Any chariot rider may have throwing knives (2 pts)
Any chariot rider may have light armor (4 pts)

I guess this is just one of those particularities of 3rd edition. The rules on pages 118 to 119 are helpful but to me there seems to be some gray areas.
Last edited by Willmark on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Post Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:36 am

Re: Dark Elf Chariots in 3rd Edition?

Chaos Chariots have rules in Slaves to Darkness, as you mention, and these are also reproduced in White Dwarf 114.

Dark Elves definitely did have a model for their Cold One Chariot (bizarre looking, if you ask me), although it was never sold in stores. I have seen it on eBay before (and I would love to know how this is possible, if the item was never released). The point values can be found in the Warhammer Fantasy Battle 3rd Edition rulebook on page 121. Unlike the Chaos chariot, it has no special rules—it's just a normal chariot pulled by two Cold Ones. I believe the point cost would be (22+22+8) 52 points for the chariot and driver, plus 20 for scythed wheels, plus the character's cost.
90's Hammer!
SIGN MY GUESTBOOK

Post Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:05 am

Galadrin wrote:Chaos Chariots have rules in Slaves to Darkness, as you mention, and these are also reproduced in White Dwarf 114.

Dark Elves definitely did have a model for their Cold One Chariot (bizarre looking, if you ask me),

Indeed it is. The basic chariot body is fine as are the wheels but the yoke pole is more akin to a wood or high elf chariot IMO. I've seen photos of that before but as you mention, the model? No way, near impossible as it was only mail order for a limited time and limited numbers at that.

My main wondering is loading it up with extra crewmen besides the character. I'm thinking the army standard bearer right besides and two other crewmen.

I should add I'm working on one... going to go with it pulled by 4 horses. Since i mainly play at home it shouldn't be an issue.;)

I should also, also add that with the movement tray I'm making I can add four cold ones instead of war horses or go with only two cold ones if need be. Pics later will show what I'm working on.

Post Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:43 pm

A four horse chariot with more than crew is perfectly legal under the rules, so no need to worry about that. Warhammer Armies came out at the very end of 3rd Edition and shouldn't really be considered the only official way to build an army. It's more like a suggestion about what you could do with the point value rules in the main rulebook.

Classic 80's Dark Elves were such a neat army—can't wait to see the model you come up with!
90's Hammer!
SIGN MY GUESTBOOK

Post Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:58 pm

Yep. Thanks for the reminder I just re-read that section.

I might have some pics tonight after I work on painting some Nippon stuff.

Post Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:07 am

As discussed here is what I've come up with so far. My idea is to mimic the 3rd edition dark elf one but not with the Wood Elf imagery. So here we are:

Still have a bit to go but you can see how its shaping up.
Last edited by Willmark on Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:07 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:12 am

Very cool so far! It looks a lot sleeker and more brutal than the original chariot. What is it made out of?
90's Hammer!
SIGN MY GUESTBOOK

Post Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:11 pm

Thanks, that the intent. Dark elves are nasty their chariots shouldn't look like they belong to pesky wood elves.

Materials:
Crescent/moubting board. (Thicker then card stock)
Plastic card
Tooth picks
Popsicle sticks
Small wooden dowling
Balsa wood
Chaos chariot wheels
Chaos chariot scythes

Obviously the horses are high elf ones.

The movement tray is two layers: one cardboard, the lower part is card stock. Glue it together and then cover the edges with masking tape. Dip into the gravel- sand box and done. Undercoating, painting and flocking the base takes next to no time to accomplish.

The basis of the yokes for the horses will be balsa wood.

EDIT: it went pretty quick, now I've got to find some actual crew members!

Post Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:30 pm

Side Track! I'm still working on dark elf stuff but the chariot is largely done until I get crew for it. One being a general means I really have to think this out. This is also before I work on the finer details of plastic card edging to the chasis as I dont know how the crew will fit in just yet, Stay tuned. In the meantime here are some old school models painted 20 years ago.

I never played Undead back in the day, but a great tactic we all probably used in 3rd edition days? Summon undead! So I painted these guys eons ago but their lance heads were allocated to my Empire Knights. So I went back and used spear heads from the 6th edition orc plastic units and bam! Still have a lot of touch ups to go but I'm going to leave the skeletons as is; I know I can do way better now but a good piece of how far I've come in terms of painting.

Undead Bretonnian Knights? Mmmmmmwwwhhhahahaaa.

I also have 30 skeletons on foot to re-base...
Last edited by Willmark on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: [12-30-16] Willmark's Dark Elf Army Blog- Project Rebirt

BUMP and Thread renamed

Arise from your grave. My Dark Elves are my second oldest army, and the one that was most in need of being repainted. Due to the fact that my massive Chaos Dwarf horde is now coming to a close, I needed to work on something else. My Nippon force is a bit stalled for the moment, so over the last year I have been busy stripping down to the lead and plastic in my dark elf force. While not complete, I have a bunch to go forward with while I add minis I didn't get back in the day or trade away ones I don't want.

Back in the day with they also fielded hobgoblin mercs as an additional infantry unit(now also stripped and ready to be painted). Now with Baron Brightgore which I picked up for $15.

On the Workbench
20 dark elf crossbowmen (still need four more) see the Marketplace forum. I'm currently working on these.
11 Mengil Manhide's Dark Elves (will function as Shadows)
8 Shadows

Here are the WIP of the Crossbowmen, better ones will be up later (yes Mengil's Manhide Dark Elves in the background too, see below)

Future plans
Purchase 2 Bolt Throwers
Add a few more cavalry, as in 5 to fill out one unit to ten (will be Dark Riders)
A few more 3rd edition cold ones for the above chariot and to fill out the second Cold One Unit.
Second warrior unit, first needs to be filled out to 20.

After that I'll take stock of the situation and see where to go next.
Last edited by Willmark on Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Next

Return to Painting & Modeling