Ork "flesh tone" lip recipe?

Orjetax

I'm thinking of switching to the classic "flesh tone" lip on my orks.

And I'm interested to hear what paints others use to achieve the classic effect.

Anyone want to share?

Actually, I've always just painted the lips the same color as the rest of the skin. However, I have an idea of how you could create a nice effect:
1) Paint the basecoat of the skin with (Goblin?) green as normal.
2) Make a roughly 50-50 mix with this green and a flesh color similar to Citadel's old Bronzed Flesh, dilute the paint a little and apply it to the lip as though it were a highlight (blending, more or less).
3) Add more flesh tone to the mix and continue "highlighting" until the desired effect is achieved.

I have seen something similar done with noses and cheeks with very good results. You could also use a more red-brown color (maybe Citadel's old Dark Flesh) to add a more red hue.

I hope this could help. Anyway, I think I will try experimenting a bit with this technique very soon, so I could add some pictures for you if it turns out well :)

Badaab

I typically shy away from doing this with my Orks- though most of them are Gorkamorka era Brian Nelson models, not the older models. I do have a RT era Bad Moon boss to paint, though, so I've been looking into it more for that particular model. I would start with the midtone for the flesh, and add a spot of Dwarf flesh as highlighting progressed- then continue up through adding the highlight color you plan on using (I usually use GW Rotting Flesh/VGC Dead Flesh). If this color continues on to something that's too green or grey for your liking, you could always use a thin glaze of red or magenta to get the tone desired.
A lot of folks paint Orks with solid red eyes, too... I've never been a fan, as it makes them look too much like monsters. I want my greenskins to have character and a little bit of "humanity" so I paint their eyes like I would other humanoids' (white with a pupil). This way you can really expand on the expressions a lot of these models have built into the sculpts (Cross eyed for Madboyz, etc).

spikehead

12241585_400602950132697_7008937581506440488_n.jpg

pinkish fleshtone (vallejo salmon rose) with a few highlights than red glazes.

Asslessman

SS850062.JPG

Painted the flesh as usual with highlights pushed a little further on the lips and nose and then a slight purple wash then red glaze on both nose and lips.

Asslessman

Painted the flesh as usual with highlights pushed a little further on the lips and nose and then a slight purple wash then red glaze on both nose and lips.

Orjetax

Thanks for the input. I'll have to get some of the specific colors mentioned here. I'm pretty pleased with my first effort, but wished I'd had a more pink flesh tone.

I do think this style nicely breaks up the face:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 3,146

Niibl

Well done. If the contrast is too strong between skin and lips for your taste, you might experiment a little bit with inks (pink, flesh or purple). But I would try it on a test model first. This one is too nice for such experiments. BTW, I like the yellow tones as well.

Orjetax

Niibl":jev7lb0o said:
Well done. If the contrast is too strong between skin and lips for your taste, you might experiment a little bit with inks (pink, flesh or purple). But I would try it on a test model first. This one is too nice for such experiments. BTW, I like the yellow tones as well.

Thank you kindly. I'll continue to play around with this technique, though I'll do so on other models indeed . . .

Back