What paint brands do people recommend?

General questions & discussion involving all things painting, modeling & photography. 

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:36 pm

What paint brands do people recommend?

Just getting back into Warhammer and I was wondering what paints you good people would recommend. I have a few Citadel and Revell acrylics, but have seen other brands available from companies such as Warlord. I used to use a mixture of Citadel paints, the Rowney acrylics that came in a tube and Windsor & Newton inks, but was curious to find out how things have moved on in the 20+ years since I was last properly painting :D

Apologies if this has been covered many times before, I did search the board for paints, but understandably returned hundreds of results and I couldn't see a similar thread on the first couple of pages.

Cheers
Andy

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:51 pm

Re: What paint brands do people recommend?

So different brands have different strengths and weaknesses (and different people have different opinions on what is a strength and weakness). I would greatly recommend just trying a bunch.

That said, I use a mix of citadel (20+ year old to present line), vallejo, p3, tamiya, army painter, and a few war colors. And those are just the acrylics! I also use oils and enamel for various things ;)

Chaos God of Nudehammer

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:08 pm

I have a large mix of brands but I recommend Army Painter Washes and Metallics, Vallejo Model/Game Colours for everything else.

I also have randoms paints from various citadel over the years, it all jells rather well.

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Think I will pick up a mixture of stuff as you suggest and see how I get on.

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi! I am also going to buy a lot of new paint soon, since most of my old paint has dried out.

So far, I have always used Citadel paints (except for when I started painting and used model aeroplane paint).

Could any of you other painters tell me, why you prefer some painting brands over other? What are the strengths and weaknesses (in your opinion)? I am especially interested in thoughts about how Vallejo differ from Citadel.

Chaos God of Nudehammer

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:20 pm

LilBroGrendel wrote:I am especially interested in thoughts about how Vallejo differ from Citadel.

Vallejo is splint into a number of smaller ranges so depending on what range you go for it has different properties.

Vallejo Game Colour: A range which is designed for the bright Fan/Sci Fi market, thinner paints then Citadel and best used in thin layers.

Vallejo Model Colour: Thicker paints and more heavy pigmented, more natural colours. Also has a sub range called Panzer Aces for WW2 colours.

Vallejo Extra Opaque: Much the same as Citadel's Foundation/Base range, dull colours designed to be the base/block coats.

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:39 pm

When I got back into painting I bought a load of Coat D'arms paints. They're made by the company who used to make the original Citadel paints. I'm very pleased with them. You'll have to order online as pretty much nowhere stocks them. Citadel and Vallejo are readily available at most model shops. I've also got a few Wargames Foundry paints. They're expensive but very good. Also they are sold in graded triads making highlighting easy straight from the pot.

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:53 pm

Citadel paints strengths are they are widely available, the wakes are excellent for speed painting, and I like their satin finish. Their previous ranges had excellent metallics. The weaknesses are the pots and their correct range is a bit inconsistent in their consistency. Their new metallics aren't near as good.

For vallejo, the have an insane range of colors among all of their lines. They are also readily available. They're airbrush paints are great too. I don't think their coverage is quite as good, and I, personally hate the dropper bottles because they clog, but other people love the dropper bottles.

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:24 pm

It really depends on the colour. Personally, I love solid, strong pigments that go on smooth in a single coat (conversely, the old Citadel painting guides recommend several thin coats). If you also like strong pigments, then I have never found a better red than Army Painter's Dragon Red, or a better rich yellow that P3's Heartfire. If you want to stick to a single company, though, you can't go wrong with Coat d'Arms... They produce all the old Citadel paint formulas and those old paints still work great.

I also own a ton of Vallejo and have decided that I don't really like them. They tend to be watery, they separate out and require a lot of shaking (I don't shake CdA paints at all, in contrast) and their colours are not very bright. If you want washed out or greyed out colours (good for historicals), then they are useful simply because of the sheer range, but other than that I avoid them these days. I want my colours to be super bright and colourful.
90's Hammer!
SIGN MY GUESTBOOK

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:37 pm

I have a big mix of colours. THe best I have used are GW, Cote De Arms and Vallejo. I have loads of old paints (GW ones from 89 still!). I use some system 7 acryllic art paints and have painted using really cheap crap I bought from hobby craft. All paint is good paint, just some is better for what you want than others. SO it depends what you want.

The cheap colours are good for strange effects and glazing, or doing bases an such like. Here is a link to some models I painted when I moved. I bought all the material to paint them for about £15, so 5 colours plus the brushes!
http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/on-boil-curtis-fells-roc-warband.html

Art paints like windsor and newton, daler or such like are good but have very strong thick mediums. Good and hard wearing, so great for vehicles or scenery or other large or handled areas. If you click the link above the backgrounds are painted with these kinds of paints (although the orange for the rust is GW and Vallejo)

Model paints like GW give very good coverage but are most expensive. Still, a £3 pot goes a long way.
Next

Return to Painting & Modeling