Starting (finally) to paint some Landsknecht Dwarfs

AZ88

So I finally picked up my brushes again and have started work on my Landsknecht Dwarfs project. They're just part of a larger project, but will be a sizeable army in their own right.

It was suggested to me by a couple of people that a blog here would help me focus on getting stuff done, so I'm giving it a try. Thus far I've just blocked out the basic colour scheme on a couple of Greatswords, but I've given myself a few weeks to paint this little lot.

iD4Cvdy.jpg

The units will be a mix of Marauder, Runecast, WK and Fenryll Dwarfs. Then there will be Battleforge, Foundry Pickford and Oathsworn Halflings, and Marauder Ogres, added in. Should be fun.

Like I say, just general blocking out of the colours thus far. Will do proper pictures in a lightbox for the finished models.

hLH49tb.jpg

Blue in VT

Looking like a great start on a wonderful selection of models. How do you feel the Runecast ones fit with the others?

Regards,

Blue

AZ88

Hi Blue. Interesting question. My take on it is that there's a sort of continuum. At one end you have Runecast, with more naturalistic style. In the middle is Marauder stuff, which is heroic and mildly 'cartoony'. At the other end you have John's White Knight stuff, which isn't naturalistic in the slightest and (although fantastic stuff) very 'cartoony' in nature - as John's stuff tends to be.

Runecast blends well with Marauder. Marauder and WK go well. Runecast and WK don't match up as well.

However, I think mixing the three, plus a few other bits, will make the unit have a sort of "so varied it works", look. There will be an Ogre, some Halflings and 4 different ranges of Dwarfs in that unit (40-strong). I think a decent paint scheme will make it all work together. Or at least, I hope it will.

I am still actually looking for the Runecast Drummer. So if anyone has him, I'd be happy to buy or trade for him.

AZ88

An addition to that thought. I'm sat here looking at them all together, and they fit very well. It's actually only certain WK sculpts that don't go with certain Runecast ones. Some of them look great together. I think simply by spacing the ones that don't match properly it'll look perfect.

Blue in VT

Bummer about the drummer! Does he have plans to cast more? He is probably my favorite of the bunch. I must say I'm alittle put off by the price of those figures...I wish they offered a group deal if you bought them all... ;)

Thanks for the comments on how they fit together.

Cheers,

Blue

AZ88

Sorry to report he has quit sculpting and gone back to dentistry. A shame, as he had already sculpted more dwarfs he never released. I tried to contact him about commissioning casts, but no luck.

AZ88

I have all of WK's Greatswords due in the post tomorrow. Would some comparison shots help?

Blue in VT

Ouch! that stinks...I had no idea. is PK-Pro his company? perhaps they will cast some more up?

Learning that may force my hand to picking them up before they all disappear.

Cheers,

Blue

Blue in VT

AZ88":60komu84 said:
I have all of WK's Greatswords due in the post tomorrow. Would some comparison shots help?

Certainly wouldnt hurt! Thanks.

I don't know if you have seen my Zweihandlers...but they make a sweet looking unit!

Cheers,

Blue

AZ88

I have indeed seen those chaps, Blue. You've really done them justice. Mine won't look that good, but hopefully the unit will look interesting. I'm afraid I'm not much of a painter.

AZ88

My WK stuff arrived, and I picked up a Marauder Ogre. A bit of an idea as to how the models work together as a mix...

oQzScuO.jpg

The paving stone plasticard is going to be the main basing material for the unit. The glaring hole at the front is waiting for me to pick up an MM15 with Greatsword.

Back