The way of all flesh

lenihan

Here's a question that has to have been asked sooo many times, but still it's worth revisiting. I'm nowhere near satisfied with how I'm painting flesh, especially on faces. What are people's recipes/ techniques?

Golgfag1

My current select is to use the following for humans:

On a black undercoat:- Base coat - G.W. Tanned Flesh, second coat dry-brushed D.W. Dwarf Flesh, finally either G.W. Bronzed Flesh or Panzer Aces Highlights Flesh for high-lights depends how fair, I want the figure to appear, watered down G.W. Blood red for cheeks & lips.

For Orcs & Giblins:

On a black undercoat:- Base coat, for Orcs - G.W. Dark Angel Green, second coat, dry bushed - G.W. Warboss Green & finally high-lighted with MP Sea green & then washed over with either Chestnut ink or Flesh wash, both watered down to hide how bright they are and given an appearance of being covered in grime. For Goblins drop the Dark Angel Green & add a lime green for the high-lights & again use the inks to tone it all down and cover with snot.

Hope this helps :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

MagpieJono

I take it you probably mean Caucasian flesh. If so Vallejo do a flesh triad in their Panza Aces range which is a good starter for 10. The mid tone is about as good a base flesh tone as you'll find.

Masterwork

I have always used but never been totally satisfied with the old GW skin triad. So I made up my own mix for the base coat. A slightly colder (bluer) brown. I'm now stuck that should I ever run out of it, any further humans will have different skin!

For Caucasian flesh, base coat mix of VMC Tan Earth (or VMC Beige Red for something a little pinker) and VGC Beasty Brown, Highlight with more Tan Earth (or Beige Red) then start adding VGC Bonewhite. Add a little white for extra light highlights.

For a black skin tone try a base of VGC Charred Brown highlighted with VGC Beasty Brown and then VMC Tan Earth.

lenihan

Thank you for all these suggestions; yes I did mean caucasian flesh and I should have specified, although having said that I'm glad I prompted the ideas for other skin tones, so all's well that ends well! I'll try some of these out and let you know how I get on in due course. In the meantime, any more suggestions welcome!

Blue in VT

My flesh recipe uses the older GW paint range but I'm really happy with it.

I prime black then base coat the flesh areas with Tallarn Flesh. This is highlighted by mixing in small amounts of Dheneb Stone until you are using nearly pure Dheneb Stone. At this point the flesh can be looking a little
Pale. To put Some life back into it i then apply a very thin glaze of the ogryn flesh wash. Works a treat.

Cheers,

Blue

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 3,324

Bane

I keep it relatively simple. Over a white primer I apply a dilute Reikland Flesh glaze and add a touch of washing up liquid to help it flow. When dry I then highlight with greater quantities of white with a touch of Reikland Flesh added. A very dilute blue/purple wash around the eyes and a translucent red glaze on the end of the nose, lips and cheeks:

Not the best photo but the only example I can find:

A012637D-7DDA-4314-A729-A59C96F7EED7_zpst0vqcb5y.jpg

StuartH

If you're looking for a retro vibe then the way the 'eavy metal team used to do it in the late 80s-90s was:

Bronzed flesh mixed half and half with snakebite leather. Shade with watered down snakebite leather and bestial brown around the mouth/eyes and anywhere the flesh met another colour.
High light was bronzed flesh and then bronzed flesh with white.

The trick is to shade down from a light colour rather than highlight up from a darker one.

Back