Making some scenery

Fimm McCool

I've wanted nice, modular, easy-to-store gaming boards for a long time. With a few metal shelves destined for the skip, offcuts of Styrofoam from students' projects, an old grass mat, some tea, an artificial Christmas tree and some clear polyester resin I now have one, whoo!

DSCF2399.JPG

DSCF2389.JPG

DSCF2394.JPG

Bit of a step-by-step on the blog:
http://fimmmccools.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/wintering-in-swamps.html

AZ88

Will you be adding any buildings, woods etc?

I like it. I'd be a bit concerned about how the grass mat would stand up to extended use, but that's a general worry I have about tables.

Fimm McCool

Absolutely. These are just the base boards. All the pools, foliage etc lies below the level of the rim so they can be stacked and flipped over to game on the cobbled side on the reverse. I plan to add lots of trees, huts, gorse bushes, dry stone walls etc.

I used one of those fabric grass mats (lime a grass tablecloth) as it should be far more durable than flock. The stones, lichen etc are all sunk below surface level, glued down and now embedded in polyurethane varnish and polyester resin so it should be very hard-wearing. Time will tell!

Fimm McCool

I'm working on the snotling golf cart as we speak... oh wait, no that should be piles of rocks! It's pretty flat right now but hopefully once there are rocks outcrops and lots of trees it should look less like a water hazard!

Fimm McCool

Working on the reverse sides of the boards with their paved and cobbled streets. Any good suggestions for quickly adding grunge and breaking up the monotony of grey?

IMG_2426.JPG

I'm planning on throwing a lot of glazes and varnish on the paving, picking out the odd stone in different colours and pouring some pigmented clear resin over the water bits to hopefully get an effect similar to The City of Lost Children which is my inspiration.

City-of-lost-children-landing.jpg

Harry

The swamp boards look fantastic.

Having just stone wall textured up one piece of styrofoam that size .... i can only begin to imagine the ball ache all those cobblestones must have been ... seriously ... OMG!

Fimm McCool

Harry":2hbdl062 said:
Having just stone wall textured up one piece of styrofoam that size .... i can only begin to imagine the ball ache all those cobblestones must have been ... seriously ... OMG!

Actually a couple of evenings watching tv and doodling away with a biro. The tricky bits were a) making sure the paving had enough variation and I didn't fall into too much repetition b) unfortunately some of the resin on the reverse wasn't quite dry so I left trouser imprints in the swamp... fortunately a thin pour of resin over the top and a surface coat of yacht varnish sorted it out.

Fimm McCool":yf9fvf3k said:
Any good suggestions for quickly adding grunge and breaking up the monotony of grey?

I think I would add some browns/khakis/greens by using either spray paint or a large drybrush. If you get on too much of these colors, you could add another drybrush layer of grey to tone down the effect. If you have the patience, you could also drybrush individual copplestones here and there with other greys or browns.

BTW, you just made me want to watch "The City of the Lost Children" :)

Fimm McCool

LilBroGrendel":3ckmbvm5 said:
I think I would add some browns/khakis/greens by using either spray paint or a large drybrush. If you get on too much of these colors, you could add another drybrush layer of grey to tone down the effect. If you have the patience, you could also drybrush individual copplestones here and there with other greys or browns.

BTW, you just made me want to watch "The City of the Lost Children" :)

Yeah, definitely needs more variation. I'm thinking about getting my airbrush out to blast some glazes over them. Picking out a few individual cobbles is a must for adding to the realism.

Fimm McCool

Not sure if you'll be able to see these images from the Mordheim Facebook group... but moving on to some above-table-level scenery.

12495917_10153826623137279_4174750131253240330_o.jpg

I've messed around with some low bushes and rock piles so now time for something for the city side- a building and part one of the aquaduct. After all that hand-cobbling for the boards I thought I'd be lazy and let the laser do my brickwork for me!
The building is a free file from the Privateer Press forum courtesy of aenimosity. I've begun cladding it in Depron foam with laser engraved brickwork, doors and windows.

12716259_10153826644032279_2754877081501136866_o.jpg

The aquaduct section is my own drawing, there'll be three or four of these with a bend section so they can run right across the table or cut off a corner.

12747972_10153826645092279_5735641160185820424_o.jpg

Fimm McCool

Back to remaking the first terrain I ever made with (hopefully!) improved skills...

10572265_771445846323640_8430834650915469122_o.jpg

Easter is coming after all, so here's my Easter garden. Well, barrow anyhow. A barrow was the second type of terrain I ever made after the Orcs' hut, inspired by that wonderful 'How to Make Wargames Terrain' book. Back then I used corrugated card, polyfiller and some rocks from the garden. This upgrade is largely made from foam, but I decided to cast the rocks rather than just use lots of small pieces of foam, it was taking too long cutting them up! Polyfiller still plays a part, but this will get turfed nicely rather than just painted green! Actually I think I still have my original barrow, might dig it out....

Back