The struggle of plastic arm squats

Orjetax

I feel like this is a topic which recurs. But short of sculpting, what are some solutions folks here have used to address the problem of plastic arms on metal squats?

I often find that the arms fit awkwardly.

And I often struggle with what I can arm squad leaders with that doesn't look out of scale.

I've been using ork plastic plasma pistols from the original sprue to great success, but have found nothing that works well as a power sword/axe/glove.

What do others use? I would love to hear additional ideas.

Chico

For Hearthguard/Squad Leaders I cut down Marine arms which work quite well. Also works for a Marineclosed fist power glove. Weapons are always going to look big, but I quite like the idea of Squats overcompensating.

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

Orjetax

That's great Chico. And I don't think your weapons here look too big at all.

What era are the marine arms from? RT or more contemporary?

apologist

Those marine arms look great, Chico. I think Space Marine scout arms could work quite well. I used Elysian and FW Chaos renegade arms, trimmed a little:
IMG_2471.jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

Essentially, you just cut off the shoulder and hand (put them safely to one side), trim down the arm at both ends, then reattach the hand and shoulder at the respective ends.

Chico

Great arm options if alittle expensive to go the FW route, Oh since I remember the next wave of ''Evil Space Dorfs'' will have separate arms which will be compatible with Squats/Space Dorfs.

Orjetax":1ai6clj5 said:
I feel like this is a topic which recurs. But short of sculpting, what are some solutions folks here have used to address the problem of plastic arms on metal squats?

I often find that the arms fit awkwardly.

I found this was quite the problem back in the mid 90's when I had brought a massive (40 odd) lot of Squat Pirates in a GW sale, the guns were so hard to stick properly to the arms and keep the whole looking like it was a natural pose, often parts would suffer... ahmm.... drooping.

Ended up getting rid of them all because of that in the late 90's.....

Orjetax

Bumped because it's been ages and I appreciate any new or additional ideas people have.

LaD. Oh man. How much I'd like 40+ squat pirates today . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found just skimming down a mm or so from any other human arms made them work. Occasionally I'd cut the hand off and shave a fraction at the wrist end to keep the proportions right too.

18891444191_893348fa65_o.jpg

18702363549_75d0ba15b9_o.jpg

These are mainly assorted GW human arms (old/new IG, WFB Empire) some GW fantasy Dwarf arms, and a few Vic minis arms.

Back