Alternative for Snakebite Leather

Jonas

My stash is getting critically low and as such I need an alternatie before I run out.

I am not interested in any of the new GW paints at all, since I won't spend a dime on that company anymore and I will never know if I will be able to get the paint in a few years.

Also I don't think Coat D'Arms Barbarian Leather is even close match. (I love Coat D'Arms though and will gladly buy other suitable paints if any).

Neither do I think Vallejo Leather Brown is a match, but probably closest so far.

Any help please :grin:

Chico

Hmmm VGC Cobra Leather is as close a colour as I can find which I use but then Cobra changed name so not sure if it matches now.

Reaper Master Chestnut Gold was recommend to me, but I never bought it in the end and just use VGC Cobra.

Jonas

Cobra Leather is now Leather Brown.

Is it really a close match? I don't have it, but looking through google it seems that it is not really the same and I was hoping for a better alternative. But might give it a try if all else fails :)

ardyer

Jonas":3ccfy5w4 said:

Is it really a close match? I don't have it, but looking through google it seems that it is not really the same and I was hoping for a better alternative. But might give it a try if all else fails :)

It used to be, but I pretty much quit using that color a long time ago so I don't have a recent shade to compare it to.

Chico

Cobra Leather drys almost spot on to Snakebite, and after a wash or highlight it's bang on. But as I say I don't know about after it changed name (It might have changed tone too)

antipixi

Jonas":38tzbkio said:

The pot I have is fairly new (less then a year old) and matches very well to snakebite.

ogryn

GW replacemt is Base: XV-88. It is a close match but not the same. It is a nice color but a shade different like all the other ones. I would go with VGC leather brown. (which I might pic up next time)

I have been burned every time gw changed colors so I am done relying on them for any consistent use of paint or crumby washes.

I REALLY need a replacement for Charadon Granite!

Jonas

I am not giving Games Workshop a dime anymore. Especially not on paints, since there is NO way to be sure to be able to get it in a year or so.

Mutantdale

Still using my 20 odd year old round pot ;) they last forever..

If you don't find a replacement shoot me a pm. I might have a spare pot of the old stuff you can have.

MD

Jonas

I was so stupid as to begin using mine for painting bases on colonial/VSF miniatures :lol: and so they go fast. I stopped that now of course, but my last few drops are drying up in the hex pot I have left.

I hope Vallejo will do the trick or at least be close enough for me to transfer to. Getting an old pot would be awesome, but not a long term sollution. I'll let you know if it will be needed.

Back