Weathering

clownshoe

In your honest opinion chaps - is this "too much" weathering/rust/effects?

And is this too little?

Attachments

• ultra (93 of 114).jpg
    ultra (93 of 114).jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 2,013
  • ultra (97 of 114).jpg
    ultra (97 of 114).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 2,013
  • rhino.jpg
    rhino.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 2,013

Coopdevil

In my honest opinion - yes. And also no.

Real military vehicles aren't allowed to just rust away as, and contrary to what you'd be led to expect by the efforts of WW2 modellers, vehicle maintenance and repainting is quite a big thing in armed forces. That said, it is 40K where everything is grimy...

However, the rust isn't in realistic places it just appears to be spread over the models in a random fashion. Vehicle rust appears where water is trapped or runs, or where the paint and primer barrier has been breached by damage. Hence rusty road cars have rust speckles around wheel arches, bottom of sills where drain holes get blocked and around panel damage and dings.

Also, assuming we are talking about a similar situation to the modern day where exhaust pipes are usually quite poor quality metal, those exhausts should rust before any body corrosion occurs.

The rust is done very well though, what's the recipe for it?

Coop

clownshoe

Thanks Coop, thats exactly the sort of thing i need to hear, i am relatively new to weathering, in the past i favoured a crisp comic look to my minis. The rust is a few different techniques, the vehicles are old "reclaimed" ones, i blasted straight over the top of the terrible old paintjobs just really to test out the varied techniques. Some is gw textured paint, some is vallejo sandy paste inked, some is weathering powders.
I will definitely take on board the areas of rust as you are 100% correct about certain areas being prone to rust.. Take my e30 bmw sills .. lol.
I am going to try some liquid mask techniques for rust next!

Flippa

Whilst I think the rust is brilliantly done I don't think Techmarines would let them get so. Nor do I think ceramite rusts. I prefer a dirty grimy look as opposed to rust. Take nothing away from the models they're brill :)

Fighting on planets with harsh atmoshperes can cause unearthly corrosion. Winds, sand, salt and harsher oxidisers could cause unusual and very rapid rusting. So a big tongue raspberry to the nay-sayers! 8-)

Nice models, how did you do the crackle paint effect?

A good trick to to paint the highlight colour you use for the blue paint around the edge of the rust areas. It makes the edge look like it is peeling up more.

Also, painting the rust brown on alot of the egdes helps with the effect. Here are a couple of my latest models done with mid to heavy weathering. The splatter was done with a tooth brush.

rhebok_tracked_col.jpg

rhebok_flametank_col.jpg

Naagruz

While I'm in the "Ceramite doesn't corrode in a color like iron oxide" camp, there are a few things I'd like to add to the above.

Weathering is a combination of things & rust has a spectrum of colors which all mean different things. By the time you are getting visible rust, you'll likely have streaks, fading, & other surface damage. Rust all by itself is a rarity.
Similarly, rust in just one color on a large subject is an odd duck. If you look at Curtis's examples, he has a mix of different rust in specific areas. It can help to check real photo references of similar subjects and use those to figure your pallette out.

Good job playing with the textures on your vehicles & enjoy your weathering!

ardyer

Since you're new to weathering, you might find this book useful:
http://www.amazon.com/F-A-Q-Frequently- ... 849652762X

He has a volume 2 out now as well. I haven't picked that one up yet. But he's got lots of pictures to look at and step by step guides for all the fading, streaking, dirt, grime, scratches, oil stains, rust, etc that you could ever think about adding to your tanks.

Back