Wild horsies

Protist

A little while back I snapped up some Menghil's Manhides on ebay along with six dark elf knights on cold ones - yeah, score! Trouble is the cold ones are the atrocious fat cows. The knights are cool models but those plastic lumps are the most ridiculous sculpts ever to be released, quite frankly they're embarrassing! If anyone wants them...

So, I want to mount my knights on barded horses to become a lethal squadron of lance wielding Doomsteeds. I need some ideas for what horses will work - and ones that I can actually buy/order nowish would be preferable to panning ebay for the next two years! I've looked at a bunch of companies but few sell just the mounts and, those that do, I have no idea of the size/scale match-up.

Just to clarify, its these knights: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a260/ ... _large.gif

Golgfag1

Well done on the acquisition, a bit harsh on the assessment of the models, but if they don't rock your boat, who am I to pass comment on the Godzila appearance of these miniatures. As for their riders, yes I can see where you're coming from, as to suitable replace stead not really sure what to recommend as I don't know enough about you or how you what them to appear as there are a number of representation of Doomsteeds - if, you're looking for GW equivalents, not really sure what to recommend apart from possibly any of the empire stuff, if you're looking for alternatives you've got to take into consideration scale creep - Essex's renaissance stuff maybe suitable, but, the style in my opinion would be wrong; Foundry's WAR/ renaissance figures are worth contemplating but I'd suggest picking up a couple of odd figures and seeing if they met your idea of what your looking for (can usual pick them up for pennies, as people usually pick them up thinking their easy to paint, and realize they've taken on a really difficult task and give up); Gripping Beast - not really sure what to recommend from their ranges as their bringing out so much new stuff at the moment, but would suggest you take a look.
Sorry, all I can think of at the moment; so, I'll wish you good luck and look forward to seeing what you eventually choose to do, as the riders do look as if their worth the time and effort. :grin:
Paul / Golgfag1

Protist

By Doomsteeds I mean the +2 shock elites from 3ed warhammer armies. What I'd like is a evil fantasy 'black knight' look to them, with perhaps a hint of the chaotic. I can sculpt over suitably sized 'plain' horses. I know these knights are a touch bigger than my other, older dark elves but hey-ho, once they're mounted it won't be that noticeable.

If you like the lizards you can have them - for free ;)

Harry

I can use them. I was planning some 5th edition conversions of the old plastics onto the some of those cold one cows.

I would look to the GW plastic Marauder Horsemen that Alex Hedstrom did for wild looking horses.
OR, for the more flowing robes look ... I have seen some Dark riders done with the HE chariot horses that looked top draw.

Protist

I'm afraid that modern GW plastics don't do much for me - and they're rather too large I'm afraid (I have a bunch of leftover marauder cav).

I have something more like these old melnibonean cav in mind:
http://www.elladan.de/047%20Darkelves%2 ... 9small.jpg

I guess the thread title is a little misleading - all I need is dynamic (not standing) horses, that fit the scale, that I can buy without riders! I think I might have another look at the Essex minis for plain horses, and sculpt some evil harnesses onto them.

Harry - got any Dark Elf spares you wanna swap for the lizards? They're painted luminous green, but nothing some Dettol won't dissolve!

Back