Light box?

General questions & discussion involving all things painting, modeling & photography. 

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Light box?

I am not much of a photographer, and don't have much natural light in my apartment. I've read that one way to get better photographs of miniatures is to set up a light box to photograph them in.

I'm aware I could probably make one on my own, but figured I would browse Amazon to see if I could save myself the effort without spending too much money... and came across this (currently discounted from $80 to $30, and including lamps too): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FMKJ1I

So I suppose the point of this thread is to ask those of you who do use light boxes whether you think this would likely work well, and also to let others in the US who might also be after a light box know about this one. It seems that the other thing I'd need to do would be to print out a gradient background, if I didn't want plain white.

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: Light box?

Those things are all over eBay too. They're of Chinese origin and private labeled to anyone who wants to. I've got a set of those lights and they're okay.

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:43 pm

I was actually considering getting a Foldio, missed out on their (successful) kickstarter, but regular sales just started
http://orangemonkie.com/

but the one you linked to looks good, for that price at least and actually includes proper lights, maybe I should get one of those sets instead

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks, guys. Foldio looks nice and compact, although more expensive. Looks like the Amazon one is cheaper than the eBay alternatives, at present. Perhaps I'll give it a shot! Dissatisfaction with my photographs has been one reason I haven't posted many of my minis, which is one thing I'd like to change.

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:18 pm

I went with the foldio through their kickstarter - seems to work pretty well, although it could use some additional lighting. In practical terms it's very compact & easy to assemble.

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:42 am

axiom wrote:seems to work pretty well, although it could use some additional lighting. In practical terms it's very compact & easy to assemble.

Did you get the 1-LED or 2-LED version? I see 2-LED is only $10 more so if you just got 1, maybe 2 would be enough... 'very compact and easy to assemble' appeals to me quite a lot. :)

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:28 am

In fairness, I have the 2 led strips but to date only used one of them ;-)

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:39 am

I ghetto'ed a light box together this afternoon using recycled foamcard, sellotape, baking paper and determination. I'm still tweaking it, I think the light could be diffused a bit better, going to look for some cheap acrylic sheet or something. So far, it's cost me less than $10 :D

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:59 am

Captain Crooks wrote:I ghetto'ed a light box together this afternoon using recycled foamcard, sellotape, baking paper and determination. I'm still tweaking it, I think the light could be diffused a bit better, going to look for some cheap acrylic sheet or something. So far, it's cost me less than $10 :D

Give a plastic milk carton a go, they're great for diffusing light.

You can even just cut the milk carton in half, lay it on its side, shine your light onto it and bung your mini inside to take a photo.

Cheap & effective light box.
My Blog: Mr Papafakis
Stuff I'd like to have: Wishlist
Stuff I'd like you to have: Trades

Donator

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:08 pm

I've never quite understood the need for a light box....diffusion of the light is great...but it also DIFUSSES the light...which makes things not as bright... :? I've gone for the bare bones approach...here is a pic of my "set up"

The desk lamps to either side have 30w Compact florescent day light bulbs (the coil looking bulbs)...As these bulbs are basically long tubes coiled into shape they emit light from their entire length..."diffusing" the light source...as opposed to an incandescent bulb were the light comes from a specific "point" the long desk lamp in the foreground has a long daylight florescent bulb in it like this...

this I hold right above the camera when shooting...again the long bulb produces light along its entire length (diffused again) and when held in this position it provides a nice even light that washes out any shadows created by the two side lights.

All of these lamps I got at a thrift shop for less than $10...the bulbs were about $15...so $25 total....I can also add additional lights if I'm trying to take a larger shot with scenery etc....very modular.

Anyway...thats my $.02

Cheers,

Blue
3rd Edition will rise AGAIN!!!!
My Painting collecting...and sometimes gaming Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/
Next

Return to Painting & Modeling