Finishing grandpa's army (CDO)

Hi there, this project log over at Chaos Dwarfs Online is quite heartmoving. One grandpa with exquisite miniature taste (pre-big hat Chaos Dwarfs) have recently passed from this world. He seem to have wished his grandson to finish his old army. Because of this, his grandson have taken up the torch for this undertaking, entering the hobby for the first time to finish his grandpa's army with some newer additions of his own.

Talk of family traditions. I like the mix of oldhammer and newhammer in the first picture.

Please move or delete thread if posted in the wrong forum section.

Very cool. I am not a member over there.
So if you would want to keep us updated when there is a big photo dump.
I would love to see how this progresses.

mbh

nice

I want to know more about his grandpa. I can't ever imagine my grandfather even knowing that warhammer existed.

airbornegrove26":2q6kcv01 said:
Very cool. I am not a member over there.
So if you would want to keep us updated when there is a big photo dump.
I would love to see how this progresses.

Sure thing. It's not a big photo dump this time around, but the painter has taken his first strides.

mbh":2q6kcv01 said:
I want to know more about his grandpa. I can't ever imagine my grandfather even knowing that warhammer existed.

Me too. It seem an unlikely generation, especially in Denmark. Which gives one respect for the old man.

phreedh

Karak Norn Clansman":bldquz5y said:
Me too. It seem an unlikely generation, especially in Denmark. Which gives one respect for the old man.
It's not THAT unlikely. Take a minute to think about when the original Conan stories were written (in the 30s). Howard would've been 98 this year! Same thing for Tolkien's work. Bilbo was written in the 30s and LOTR published in the 50s... so imagine a fellow born in the 40s or 50s, of a geeky disposition. He might very well have read Bilbo and LOTR in his youth, as well as the Conan stories.

As for Denmark, I support the notion that it's an unlikely place altogether - but they had independent stockists in Copenhagen back in the time of pre-100 White Dwarf. There are even black and white illustrated adverts for it in old WD.

It's a cool story though, hope he gets it off the ground and shows some more pics and tells us more about his grand dad.

phreedh":1bl8x6ie said:
It's not THAT unlikely. Take a minute to think about when the original Conan stories were written (in the 30s). Howard would've been 98 this year! Same thing for Tolkien's work. Bilbo was written in the 30s and LOTR published in the 50s... so imagine a fellow born in the 40s or 50s, of a geeky disposition. He might very well have read Bilbo and LOTR in his youth, as well as the Conan stories.

As for Denmark, I support the notion that it's an unlikely place altogether - but they had independent stockists in Copenhagen back in the time of pre-100 White Dwarf. There are even black and white illustrated adverts for it in old WD.

It's a cool story though, hope he gets it off the ground and shows some more pics and tells us more about his grand dad.

You've got a point. The project have progressed enthusiastically, with a mix of old and newhammer. In particular Skin Wolves and Fimir. It might be worth a scan of the log since it'll probably remind you as much as me of your first time as a hobbyist.

It also is as bizarrely varied as any Chaos army should be in my opinion.

Back