RT Scenery

MadGav

It seems that over the years most of my scenery has been lost and frankly I've forgotten how I made it. Does anyone have any recommendations or how to's for buying/making/painting scenery? I'm more interested in the quick and dirty end of the spectrum than perfectionism!

twisted moon

what sort of terrain do you want? youtube has lots of videos showing how to make your own from household items or waste. if you're looking to spend some money, i consider ttcombat to be great value.

EricF

Administrator
If you're looking to buy older style sci-fi terrain (as opposed to pure "grim dark gothic") then Scotia Grendel have some very old school buildings in their NBO range (well they look old because they are old!). You can see them here https://www.shop.scotiagrendel.com/inde ... 20a&page=4 I've been wondering about getting some myself at some point. I can certainly second TTCombat, I've some of their resin pieces and they are nice, I'm still undecided personally on MDF terrain (just building my first piece now!)

Otherwise aquarium plants, lichen and stacked plastic bowls are your friends!

Sleepysod

There is a nice section the original RT book that shows you how to make some simple buildings - yogurt/desert pots, hard cardboard tubes and plaster casts of half a ball I seem to recall!

knobgobbler

It's a bit messy, but paper mache will let you build up some fairly impressive terrain. Cheap and light weight.
This lady has all sorts of videos on using it to make sculptures... but her recipe and techniques are quite versatile. The main trick is to keep the layers thin-ish and plan for plenty of drying time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YQ6eUqcEh8&t=10s

MadGav

Thanks for the suggestions! Very helpful

twisted moon":ja1ab45k said:
what sort of terrain do you want?
Mainly some generic sci fi buildings (not gothic) that could stand in for a range of purposes. But I'll keep a look out for aquarium plants too...

EricF

Administrator
I've had my eye on some of the HAB buildings from Zen Terrain (https://www.zenterrain.com/en_US/p/HAB- ... pack-2/162), I thought they might fit an older rogue trader style with the right paint job and some propaganda posters on the walls. Some of the stuff from MicroArts is quite nice and generic, I've got some of the "outpost" hard foam pieces (mine did need quite a lot of tedious bubble filling) which look good on the tabletop.

Oh that reminds me I have a ton of resin Kryomek buildings to paint!

I too, want to make RT era scenery. Later RT, ie, Ork village, alien jungle, etc. from the 2e book pictures.

Also if anyone cares, Geo-Hex is back in production. I bought a modest selection of desert stuff (basic set, rough hills, couple spare flat hexes,flocked mat) so I could replicate the scenery table from the D6 Star Wars Miniatures Battles rulebook.

I am thinking of getting a green flocked mat too, to put my RT era scenery on.

Arkansan

Tauntaun Scout":2tphgokt said:
Oh that reminds me I have a ton of resin Kryomek buildings to paint!

I too, want to make RT era scenery. Later RT, ie, Ork village, alien jungle, etc. from the 2e book pictures.

Also if anyone cares, Geo-Hex is back in production. I bought a modest selection of desert stuff (basic set, rough hills, couple spare flat hexes,flocked mat) so I could replicate the scenery table from the D6 Star Wars Miniatures Battles rulebook.

I am thinking of getting a green flocked mat too, to put my RT era scenery on.

I've always just used green felt cloth to cover my gaming table with, does good enough for a grass effect and is nice and easy on the wallet.

Arkansan":3w0k9gz3 said:
Tauntaun Scout":3w0k9gz3 said:
I've always just used green felt cloth to cover my gaming table with, does good enough for a grass effect and is nice and easy on the wallet.

I don't want a grass effect. I want a mid 1990's 'Eavy Metal battle scenes effect! :grin:

Back