Coat d'Arms Enchanted Blue

tp_1983

I'm in the middle of painting a group of Japanese bandits up for Ronin, the Brotherhood of the Blue Lotus, and using several shades of blue. I opened a pot of Coat d'Arms Enchanted Blue I got a while ago and never used, the only Coat d'Arms paint I've got. The trouble is, it looks really shiny, almost like the old citadel metallic blue. I now have a bandit wearing lycra trousers. Is this common with Coat d'Arms paints? Or is enchanted blue supposed to be like this? I'm hoping by the time it's been inked, highlighted and varnished it won't look too bad, but not sure.

Chico

It's the same colour as the old Citadel Polished Blue, so it should be a blue metallic.

15323_sm-2nd%20Edition,%20Citadel%20Paints,%20History,%20Retro%20Review.JPG

15324_sm-2nd%20Edition%2C%20Citadel%20Paints%2C%20History%2C%20Retro%20Review.JPG

tp_1983

Damn it.

Probably should have checked that before I started slapping it on miniatures. I'm going to have to do my best to tone it down with highlights etc.

tp_1983

Between his shiny trousers, my decision to give Hume a purple shirt and the limp wrested pose, I think this fella might get himself something of a reputation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 3,084

Harry

I think you should just embrace the situation and finish him of with some testical pink sleeves. :grin:

According to my imagination, Japanese bandits would have worn gaudy outfits of colourful stolen silk, so I agree, roll with it, maybe even research some kimono patterns and styles, give them a real touch of eyeball spanking authenticity!

lenihan

Old citadel Enchanted Blue is Coat d'Arms Wizard Blue (somewhat confusingly). That's the main colour for my elves, and I use it all the time... started off mid-90s with citadel enchanted blue, then when I started warhammer again in the 21st century, realised citadel paints had changed, looked up the equivalent and moved over to Coat d'Arms wizard blue.

Jonas

Coat D'arms are great, I try and change over to that brand for most of my paint. Only thing they don't have is the GW style washes, so I use Vallejo and Army Painter for that.

smiler

I hope it isn't too cheeky to tack this onto someone else's thread but on the topic of coat d'arms blues... :)

I bought some Fester Blue assuming it would be the same as Citadel Festering Blue but it's much lighter. Does anyone know which is equivalent?

Coopdevil

One of the things you need to watch out for with modern equivalents of older Citadel colours is the shift away from always using white as an undercoat. I grumbled to my local GW staff about Dark Angels Green keeping the same name when they went over to the "boltgun shell" pots but being a completely different shade and was told that it was now (or then rather) formulated to go over a black undercoat - in line with their painting guides - rather than a white one. I tried this and it was correct. Annoying but there you go!

Coop

smiler

Never heard of the undercoat thing, it would've never occurred to me that they'd change the colour around that. I guess that explains the difference in brightness.

I've been using Festering Blue as the main colour for my Crimson Fists, painted over a Necron Abyss base coat. I'll have to experiment with adding black and/or dark blue to make them match more closely.

:) thanks guys, another mystery solved.

phreedh

Also, Coat d'Arms (or rather, the manufacturer of the paints) aren't very consistent when they mix the colours so there can be huge variation between batches of the same CdA paint.

Back