Brutal childhood paintjobs of the 80s

When I got Heroquest, KK and the Witch Lord from Ebay last year this is what the minis looked like
hq1_zps0131d3c6.jpg

hq2_zpse3267a8b.jpg

Also, this is a rather hilarious blog post about this sort of thing from Hungry Ghost's Chaos Squats of Khorne
http://chaossquats.blogspot.com.au/search?q=bad+painting

"Who paints feet and necks special but not faces? Who? Who? " :lol:

Here's my contribution to this wall of shame;

I must have been trying to turn this poor eldar into a ninja, by the looks of his head. I think it may have been around the time of the first TMNT movies.... The Foot Clan and all that :grin:

Those sharp point things are indeed sewing pins. I glued them onto his wrist with super glue & wrapped it in mums cotton thread. She would have been proud I tell you :o

This is obviously as far as I got, because I distinctly remember trying out his new claw weapon on my finger & it fucking hurt! Doh :o

He got put away after that experience. I discovered him yesterday, while cleaning up my hobby room.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• 1412840457215.jpg
    1412840457215.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,698
  • 1412840459113.jpg
    1412840459113.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 2,698

Asslessman

Sewing needles 8-)

I tried those once two but it didn't look as ccool as that, I also ened up hurting myslef but I used the blood to add gore on the blade of a tzeentch champion (bird head and gigantic hand) I've unfortunately not photographed before stripping.

I thnik the pose was actually really cool, I would try to paint it just to see if I were you, he could make a very good RT assassin.

Asslessman":2p56fdj5 said:
I thnik the pose was actually really cool, I would try to paint it just to see if I were you, he could make a very good RT assassin.

I might do, but at the moment I'm fixated on finishing my "LE1 Space Orc" conversion & then I've got an Ork salvage team to start remember ;)

Cheers JB

symphonicpoet

Oldest figures of which I have photos are these 1/48 aircrew:

IMG_3374-1.jpg

IMG_3376-1.jpg

I painted those when I was about 12 I'd guess. Mid eighties. Hadn't discovered lead yet.

Here's a little of my old oldhammering . . . (though it would have been newhammer then):

IMG_1731-2.jpg

IMG_1733.JPG

IMG_1731-1.jpg

All terrain is much more recent. I STILL use vehicles painted around that era, but I was a much more experienced aircraft modeler then than figure painter, so my contemporary vehicles are more or less respectable. Or at least usable. Anyway . . . Here's a few period photos of the same miniatures. Lousy camera, so no detail, but you can see them in their native habitats . . . .

scan%2B01-2.jpg

scan%2B02-2.jpg

scan%2B03-2.jpg

scan%2B06-1.jpg

scan%2B07-1.jpg

scan%2B09-1.jpg

I have some old Ral Partha D&D miniatures from the same time that I ought to photograph and post here. Yeah, there's some lousy paint to be found, but I still have fond memories of those days. And for a twelve year old kid I don't find any of it deeply embarrassing. Sure, lots of undiluted enamel, but Floquil paints well enough. (Probably paints better than what I'm using now, though it also cost about ten times as much.) I used railroad and military colors in those days, and maybe it shows. I had a much more subdued palette than some of my friends. Anyway . . . enough of that for now. Fun thread. Thanks to all for posting. Nice to know that some of the very talented painters about this forum came from places no better than my humble self. Maybe there's hope for me to learn this whole painting thing yet.

Cool photo's symphonicpoet, I don't think too many of us had the forethought to photograph our playtime way back when. The outdoor battle scenes look great.

Oh, and you can barely notice the strings on the P-47 ;)

cheers.

Zoring

These are some fantastic paintjobs guys, really love it, although not from the 80's hope you can accept my 90's figures. Re-painting these old figures is like restoring old furniture, or therapy! haha now I can finally paint to the standard I wanted to when i was 12.

nc15.png

nc16.jpg

Asslessman

Really great, I think we can all agree you improved on colour choice, technique and thinning your paints, splendid restoration !

axiom

Unfortunately I don't have any of my childhood paintjobs from the 80s - my human Blood Bowl team (black, red and white), Legion of the Damned Space Marines, and Warhammer 3rd ed Chaos army are sadly no longer with me.

I do still have a very small selection of some of my Eldar figures from the 1990s which I can share. In timeline:

EldarTimeline_zpsef7ac588.jpg

First up, dating from around 1991 is an Eldar Exarch. He was originally made when I did my first ever Eldar army (based on the WD127 list). His head is from a Wood Elf Wardancer (I think). The dragon wing was a later addition (1994?) when I made him into an Exodite Dragon Prince for 2nd edition. His basing includes ash from a bbq, including a big hunk of unpainted charcoal!

Eldar1_zps90ed0fe4.jpg

Next is an Eldar scout, circa 1995. He has been given a shuriken catapult (made from a plastic crossbow). You can see some nice(!) shading on his coat from a wash made from thinned dark blue!
Eldar2_zps656e9277.jpg

Finally, some Striking Scorpions - originally circa 1993, upgraded circa 1999. Some extensive and not entirely successful conversion work. The squad was painted as the Exarch (black, drybrushed with grey) and reworked for third edition when they were part of my Saim Hann army (hence the helmet stripes). Some rather clumsy edge highlighting on the grey, and for some reason they weren't ever based!
Eldar3_zps90f185e5.jpg

Thanks for looking :grin:

symphonicpoet

^Zoring,

That is quite the rescue. Well done.

^Axiom,

Ah, the joys of chopping up "inexpensive" plastic weapons to make approximations of better ones you can't afford. At least, that's what I was doing with my early conversions.

Asslessman

Damn it Jon, 20 yeras ago you were already pulling great conversions from your sleeves ! The technique could have used some more skill but the ideas are really great !
Wish I hadn't stripped all mine. I had this Scorpion exarch conversion with a bolas to match the description of Elshar in the 2nd ed codex.

Those black scorpions rock too !

optimus":30vxvnu2 said:
Any new members care to share their painting efforts from childhood? The more shocking they are the better :lol:

I've got a lot of Space Crusade figures hidden in a box somewhere. Recently I have thought about repainting them, so your comment must be the final sign that I need to start on that project soon. Some of the paintjobs are "lovely" combos of Citadel and enamel paints ;)

ardyer

optimus":27antf8w said:
Any new members care to share their painting efforts from childhood? The more shocking they are the better :lol:
That was one of the categories in the painting contest of last year's oldhammer day USA

Skyrak

ardyer":3iooktk8 said:
optimus":3iooktk8 said:
That was one of the categories in the painting contest of last year's oldhammer day USA

I didn't see any photos from the worst painted of the us oldhammer XD but I would have liked to see them :grin:

This post has always been fun to see what comes up and I'm quite tempted to try it out of the oldhammer Facebook page.

ardyer

Skyrak":2qpet0s7 said:
ardyer":2qpet0s7 said:
optimus":2qpet0s7 said:

I didn't see any photos from the worst painted of the us oldhammer XD but I would have liked to see them :grin:

This post has always been fun to see what comes up and I'm quite tempted to try it out of the oldhammer Facebook page.
It wasn't "worst" painted, it was "childhood" painted ;)

They should have been up on AirborneGroves' blog. They're going to go up on the Facebook page for this year's event too...once I get something sorted out!

Back