Brutal childhood paintjobs of the 80s

Skyrak

Now there are many amazing and inspiring paintjobs on this forum, which i truly wish i was able to emulate (im realistic i cant!) but how about those old miniatures from your childhood that you spent ages painting and frankly look awful, yet nostalgia just wont let you dettol them to oblivion.

Here are a few of the paintjobs that i did in the early 80s that whenever i look at them i can still see me painting or have other memories attached.

To start with my Lone Wolf Giak Attack box set. Just how thick was the paint and im sure looking at them i must have used an old toothbrush to paint them with. I vaguely remember being pleased with the skull i painted on the banner.

To follow up is an old citadel harpy with a loverly gold body paint job, maybe i had watched a bond film before painting this but again the memories stop me scubbing it clean.

So your eyes dont melt from these abominations i finally have a pre slotta 1984 skeleton in a rather fetching arab esqe outfit. I remember how bad enamel white paint was yet didnt think at the time that i should try and paint more layers (probably would have obscured all the detail anyway) and the memory tied to this guy is from my cousin and i building a dungeon out of some polystyrene packaging and using cocktail stick as traps for each area. Suffice to say when your collection of adventures die on a roll of 1>3 on a six sided dice no one made it pass the first couple of traps all day!

I´ve seen worse "pro painted" minis on ebay :lol:

Heroes of time. More important than painting quality is the pure remembrance of battles fought long time ago.

I still have 5 of my first 8 Monopose 4th Woodelf Archers. I think I only had about 5 colours to paint them at that time. Hard to look at but I still use them and I think I would never repaint them. All about nostalgia :grin:

Asslessman

I totally get the feeling you have when taking those in your hand. This thread title of yours is also utterly brilliant :

Captain Crooks":1xm3rhry said:
This totally has to become a display thread for our awful old paintjobs - I'll be back later with some of mine!

Here's my first painted mini ever painted with undiluted enamels... though I already had tons of Jes Goodwin champions at the time, I wanted to practice on some cheap toys first :

DSC_7349.JPG

Hope you appreciate the realistic blood on the spikes and the attention paid to contrasts. I already had some serious freehand skill (all gone) and I am still very proud of the subtle expression in the eyes...

Chico

Asslessman":2d8pia2a said:

Heheh looks like little spermy's coming out of the Khorne Icon.. :O

Having said that id you give it all a black wash It won't actually be too bad.

Asslessman

Chico":e0vyecc2 said:
Heheh looks like little spermy's coming out of the Khorne Icon.. :O
This must have had a hidden significance at some point... :oops: ( I painted that when I was 11)

Chico":e0vyecc2 said:
Having said that id you give it all a black wash It won't actually be too bad.

Thanks, I actually consider painting the spare one I have to my full capacities just to see if I can make it look nice with my level while keeping the very exact same colourscheme... :o

Put your sunglasses on, from the deepest glades of Athel Loren:

They don´t fit to any other unit of my Wood elves. But I still like and field them, just for nostalgic reasons.

phreedh

Nice stuff! I posted on my blog a few years ago: http://ministuff.godzilla.se/?p=313

Here's my first mini I bought. Second hand, paint job mainly by the previous owner. Pustules by me, using a toothpick and yellow enamel.
oldest_mini.jpg

Repainted him a few years ago, and found out it's a wild man with warts from Standard Games. Still available from Magister Militum.
sbh_misc1a.jpg

Not the first I painted either but one of the earliest I have a photo of:
hq_wizard.jpg

He's gonna get it too! :)
painting_hq1_f.jpg

From the glittering tower of Hoeth and the blasted land of Nagarythe come the noble Swordmasters and the dark Shadow Warriors. ..

20140318_093249-1_zps04ea65f2.jpg

As rendered by 13yr old me in glorious technicolour. Of note is the hollow, black pits that serve for eyes, the flat, lustreless gemstones and the overuse of flesh wash. Of special note is the glowing swords that represented the height of my painting skill - yellow base coat with red wash sloshed on top created a pretty spectacular effect! ;) also note the uniformly goblin green bases for ultimate red period effect.

Jonas

Asslessman":1nqhz8gw said:
Thanks, I actually consider painting the spare one I have to my full capacities just to see if I can make it look nice with my level while keeping the very exact same colourscheme... :o

I actually just recently got another copy of the first miniature I painted and plan to paint him in same colour scheme as my old one. It is an old Metal Magic fighter type miniature. :grin:

Captain Crooks":mo14hnlt said:
From the glittering tower of Hoeth and the blasted land of Nagarythe come the noble Swordmasters and the dark Shadow Warriors. ..

20140318_093249-1_zps04ea65f2.jpg

As rendered by 13yr old me in glorious technicolour. Of note is the hollow, black pits that serve for eyes, the flat, lustreless gemstones and the overuse of flesh wash. Of special note is the glowing swords that represented the height of my painting skill - yellow base coat with red wash sloshed on top created a pretty spectacular effect! ;) also note the uniformly goblin green bases for ultimate red period effect.

Man that made me smile! Now that's reflective criticism. :grin:

phreedh

Blue in VT":2jc8cpu4 said:
hahaha....his CRAZY eyes do seem to imply he is in some distress! :lol:

Cheers,

Blue
Yup, I sure did a number on him. Poor guy, rubbing shoulders with chaos warriors and a demented barbarian with a skin condition. :)

MoodyGit

This was my first. I remember reading how to wash in an old WD and not realising that you covered the whole area. This was my watermark period for quite a while. If I remember right on one of the letters pages someone had asked how you control the wash, don't think the answer helped me though.

My girlfriend, now wife's attempt at the time consuming hobby! She showed no interest at all since which is a shame as it put mine to shame.

phreedh

She should've kept at it - that dragon turned out rather good!

My wife have also painted a few minis and while she enjoys it she doesn't get bitten by the bug at all. Which is a shame, as I sure could use an assistant to help me chip away on the mountain. Oh well, only a few more years until li'l P can fill those shoes!

P1110459.jpg

cheetor

phreedh":38npc1l5 said:
Oh well, only a few more years until li'l P can fill those shoes!

Putting the "Bright" into "Bright Crusader" by the look of things. I see that he borrowed your painting bib too Mattias ;)

MoodyGit

You rotter, my figs would look like that if you gave me the same brush.

Captain Crooks":2b8occj1 said:
Please Moody Git sir, tell me where that dragon is from?

As to the dragon, sorry I can't remember it was so long ago! I only had access to one small independent shop in those days and my early models were either grenadier or early red blister citadel. I sort of remember it coming in a box like the grenadier Nick Lund boxed dwarves I've still got.

phreedh

cheetor":ztaz643u said:
I see that he borrowed your painting bib too Mattias ;)
I could use one! I'm a notorious pot-toppler. I've ruined several pairs of pants with humbrol enamels, much to my mother's dismay. Doesn't happen that often anymore, but at least once every session I end up somehow losing the grip on the brush, flinging it through the air. Apparently I tense up quite a bit while enjoying my "relaxing hobby". Anyone else experience this?

MoodyGit":ztaz643u said:
You rotter, my figs would look like that if you gave me the same brush.
Who said they don't? ;D Nah, I bought a bunch of crappy Humbrol synthetics to teach the kids of some friends how to paint. Unfortunately, they moved back to Israel before we had the opportunity to arrange anything. Left me with a selection of rather poor brushes that my son now have inherited.

I can happily say he loved painting a mini and he's very proud of it. I think we should have a new session soon, but he's a bit headstrong at the moment and not open to constructive criticism such as "stop painting dad's expensive design lamp" or "please don't pour the paint in the cat's fur". Not even when yelled. 3-year olds... sheesh. :roll:

Back