Paul Sawyer TOFG - Beastmen, Assistance Needed

I’m hoping for some help with achieving a look for my chaos Beastmen (near) identical to that of Paul sawyer’s from the original white dwarf tale of four gamers.
This is my first time painting over a black undercoat and I like the subtle highlights that allow the Beastmen to still appear black and not grey.
If anyone that has seen these articles from the 90’s and you can lend some advice on the colour palette citing Vallejo paint or citadel paints I would really greatly appreciate some help identifying what colours to buy before I start the old hammer army challenge in January.
I also can’t figure out the technique he used for the horns.

Thanks gents

Plaiecivile

I tried to find the army you were referring to without success.

Do you have links for pictures or at least the White Dwarf numbers where that beastmen army was displayed?

Thanks for looking, I have the old WD’s at home I’ll put some images up ASAP. I could not find images online. The original TOFG ran from April - August I believe issues 216-220 inclusive. I will never get over the purchasing choices of the Skaven player. Still boggles my mind.

Attachments

• 5272F212-AB01-4670-B560-062A919508AB.jpeg
    5272F212-AB01-4670-B560-062A919508AB.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 2,534
  • E7C7CFB6-95FE-42DB-A192-25D5717E07E2.jpeg
    E7C7CFB6-95FE-42DB-A192-25D5717E07E2.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 2,534
For the horns, I think he might have basecoated them with Bubonic Brown, highlighted them with Bleached Bone and maybe a final highlight with Skull White.
With modern Citadel paints, that would be something like Zamesi Desert, Ushabti Bone and White Scar.

One way to paint the skin could be a basecoat of Vallejo German Grey, followed by a black wash, and then make a few highlights by adding a bit of Ushabti Bone to the German Grey.

Kallstrom

I believe that the White Dwarf Apocrypha (the newly created bundle book featuring articles from WDs past) features the first tale of four gamers - and in it was a mostly black beastmen army, iirc. I don't have the book with me anymore, but maybe someone else that has it could post some pictures. It had some close ups of black ungors, which might help others to see what kind of colors that were used and what can be used as substitute today (an even closer closeup than what has already been posted here, I mean)

Back