Using rare earth magnets?

Aiteal

Would anyone have any advice or like to share their experiences with using rare earth magnets?
I was hoping to use some so that I could swap around the load that the Slann slaves carry from the default Slann Wizards palanquin to something else but still have an assembled model that won't come apart at the slightest touch. Would the type of magnets you see for sale on ebay be suitable?

cheetor

I use magnets to magnetise Blood Bowl and Dreadball figures for ball handling duties. I did a quick tutorial blog post that might help.

I also magnetised these ork torsos to corresponding bionik bottom halves.

I also magnetised the rotors on these Deffkoptas to avoid potential damage from snagging on clothes etc. In that case the intentil was not to hold the rotors on rigidly, but enough so tat they didnt fall off..

I get my magnets from Ebay, China in every case that I remember. They are just as good as any that I bought in a model shop.

One thing that you need to bear in mind is that magnetising a single part to another is one thing, but having many items that are magnetised into what amounts to a chain make integrity a lot harder to maintain.

Do you have an image of the Slann palanquin?

Aiteal

Thanks for the links :)

It's this guy here
http://www.solegends.com/citc/c22slannwizard.htm
Basically the slave sticks fit underneath the wizards carpet, in theory they could balance the top half of the model fine as they sit inside a small slot on the side. But I want to keep them firm and 'un-wobbly', and be able to remove the wizards carpet and 'stick on' a chaos war altar type of thing that currently only exists in my imagination.

Asslessman

I've used rare earth magnets for a couple of models and They're really handy. if you want to remove the "wobbly " effect, you can put a little ball of GS at each pint where parts join before pressing the parts one against the other to get a perfect link, you then add the magnets and correct the link by removing excess GS or by adding some more.

I also tend to prefer having 2 small magnets rather than a single one when I can.

Here are some posts where I show how I used it on my projects if it helps.

http://leadplague.blogspot.fr/2013/06/t ... s-box.html

http://leadplague.blogspot.fr/2013/02/m ... t-40k.html

I've always used magnets bought from bits online stores (because I bits at the same time but I think next time I'll buy a big batch on ebay.

Mutantdale

I use N54 grade rare earth magnets from ebay. I think the seller is spiderweb or spiderweb magnets. I did try lower grade but them seemed a bit naff (and not the bloodbowl kind).

If you can go with 3mmx2mm as the 2mmx2mm ones are a bit weak (but it depends on space available on the mini especially on metal).

Oh yea try to get in the habit of using them all the same direction on minis (i use a previously magnatised mini and a marker pen to mark what side of the magnet is going where).
this makes life easier if you plan of moving stuff about via various minis (all my magnatised 40k weapons can go onto any mini I like now).

MD

Asslessman

Mutantdale":ig69wjfb said:
Oh yea try to get in the habit of using them all the same direction on minis (i use a previously magnatised mini and a marker pen to mark what side of the magnet is going where).
this makes life easier if you plan of moving stuff about via various minis (all my magnatised 40k weapons can go onto any mini I like now).

MD
Oh yeah , Dale is absolutely right, I do that too, it really helps and it sometimes allows to make silly head/arm swaps :roll:

Back