Remove glue from plastic

dazza36

Does anyone know of a way to remove glue from plastic models.

I ask as I recently got my hands on some classic skeletons and although most of them are fine, some of the poses are rather silly and I'd like to adjust but to do so I need to somehow de-glue them. So any ideas ?

Berkut666

dazza36":3ri9azip said:
Does anyone know of a way to remove glue from plastic models.

I ask as I recently got my hands on some classic skeletons and although most of them are fine, some of the poses are rather silly and I'd like to adjust but to do so I need to somehow de-glue them. So any ideas ?

I find it depends on the glue. When I strip minis with clean spirit in a sonic bath tends to make the glue brittle enough to pick off. Any way you can carefully cut, sand and then re-glue?

Padre

If it is polystyrene cement on hard polystyrene, then the glue works by melting the two pieces together. Indeed I sometimes make a horrible filler out of shavings and cement to fill gaps an such, thus playing about with the fact it melts.

Best to cut clean with a scalpel, reposition, and reglue.

Tubehead

For cyanoacrylate glues, I have heard, though never personally tried, putting the part in the freezer overnight will make the glue very brittle and it can be carefully flaked or levered off with a hobby knife.

Mophus

As Padre mentioned, the connection is often melted on both parts. Mr. Color Thinner by Gunze can remove the glue (and paint) on plastics without destroying it. I know Wiking collectors who clean their (holy) models with this liquid.

Back