WTF painting moment!

wolfden76

Hi All

I was painting today, a rare day when everything was done around the house and the minister of war and finance was at home and happy for me to "waste time" painting :shock: .

I am currently working on a unit of Empire spearmen. I finished painting 8 of these today and spent time painting stripes and picking out the folds of the clothes in different colours.

I was very happy with my effort of painting when my wife comes over and for the first time ever takes an interest in my little troops. She picked one up and said to me "they look good, I really love the shoes." I was stunned and didn't know what to say here I am painting stripes and blending colours and she likes the shoes, that would of been ok but they are plain black :cry: .

Anybody else have a WTF moment when you have been super happy with a painting effort to have someone stop you in your happy moment with a comment.

Brett

ardyer

This didn't happen to me but it occurred between a good friend of mine, his cousin, and a common acquaintance. As a bit of back story, my friend is a multi-slayer sword winner, his cousin doesn't game and is only aware of it because my friend is such a good painter, and the common acquaintance is a horrible painter. All three of them were hanging out when the acquaintance pulled out some space marine rhinos he'd painted and was showing them to my friend's cousin. At which point the cousin said, unknowingly, "those will look good when you paint them." There were apparently (and understandably) some hurt feelings involved.

phreedh

Hah, pretty little shoes, eh? =D

wolfden76":2l7bejo7 said:
Anybody else have a WTF moment when you have been super happy with a painting effort to have someone stop you in your happy moment with a comment.

A long time ago, a mate (who doesn't paint or buy models, but enjoy gaming with mine) looked at my 2nd edition Blood Bowl ogre I had recently finished and said "Looks good, but don't you think you should paint the metal parts too?". Which I had, already. =/

Edit: And I notice Ardyer had a similar story. Wonder if it's a common reaction from the non-painting plebs?

Asslessman

I remember a dinner in my early teens with my parents and some friends of theirs (who had a hot daughter my age...) and there came the "what do your kids do" topic.
My mother told everyone I was painting miniatures but I wanted to keep this secret (wouldn't want to risk looking like a geek maniac in front of the girl). My mom's friend asked to see some models and my mom went to my room and got the first thing she found... which just happenend to be a chaos marine converted to have bowels and blood everywhere with corpse bits on the base and "murder, deth, Kil" written on the back banner (we're talking early 90's here).
I don't know if it's the poor painting skills with the "go fasta" red used to simulate blood everywhere or the subject itself, but there was quite an uncomfortable silence for a few very long seconds.

Oh And I obvisouly didn't score...

wolfden76

Asslessman,

Sorry mate but that is the best :lol: , I thought my wife would know better seeing how her father was Australian Ancients Champion many moons ago.

But hey she touched a mini and said something positive ... I'd settle for that any day! I don't think my wife has ever made a comment on my minis, good, bad or otherwise.

Anyway this is classic thanks for the amusing anecdote ... I shall now eagerly away the day my wife likes shoes on some of my minis.

Hmm ... maybe that's it. I'll give everyone a purse and shoes and then maybe ... just maybe ;)

Asslessman":350xumdu said:
I remember a dinner in my early teens with my parents and some friends of theirs (who had a hot daughter my age...) and there came the "what do your kids do" topic.
My mother told everyone I was painting miniatures but I wanted to keep this secret (wouldn't want to risk looking like a geek maniac in front of the girl). My mom's friend asked to see some models and my mom went to my room and got the first thing she found... which just happenend to be a chaos marine converted to have bowels and blood everywhere with corpse bits on the base and "murder, deth, Kil" written on the back banner (we're talking early 90's here).
I don't know if it's the poor painting skills with the "go fasta" red used to simulate blood everywhere or the subject itself, but there was quite an uncomfortable silence for a few very long seconds.

Oh And I obvisouly didn't score...

HAAAA! That's pure gold dude!

Silversixx

I was rummaging through my reaper bones pledge with my daughter looking for suitable miniatures for the Bad one and the Good ones (the good ones basically being all women). All the sudden the missus dropped by, picked one up and said "I can paint this". Now, my wife really has no interest at all in my hobby. In fact, she still hopes for me to grow up one day. So, instead of having the risk of sharing the hobby with my wife (that is one horrible horrible possibility), I went the full one hundred percent of over-acting "Wow!". So after building up a scenario for her in which we visit conventions together, her being forced to dress in a corsette and me having a tall hat and a silly notion for Steam Punk, she dropped the mini and backed off slowly. Thank god.
Now I can destroy my daughters attempts of having a boyfriend before she has become a presidential oil tycoon brain surgeon.

I can related to your post on so many levels (including being a bones backer *internet air-five*).

You also seem to subscribe to the same schools of thought on raising daughters and keeping one's wife out of the man cave!

Plaiecivile

I had so many of those WTF moments in my “painting career” but I found tricks to avoid them… Mainly because I am color blind! Imagine that all you see around you has 30% less red, and that this percentage changes according to the total amount of light in the room. Also, my brain as a tendency to compensate for the lack of red, so sometimes I will not see the right color until somebody tells me the real color, than I blink and the color as shifted toward that new information… damn it! It’s hard to explain but sometimes I don’t “understand” the colors I see.
So I once ended with a pink fortress (which I thought was grey), plague bearers with tan flesh which I intended to be green, slaanesh mounts with a shaded deep blue tone which everyone actually saw flat black and so on…
So I keep in mind that someday I will paint an undead army only using black and white and feel free to experiment without ending with an awkward color scheme!

Back