iPhone Photo Tips (other than: don't use an iPhone)

Orjetax

So, I'm stuck using an iPhone for pictures of my WIP stuff.

I think I muddle through OK, but I hate to see favorite details get lost.

Anyone have any tips for shooting this stuff using an iPhone camera?

Asslessman

I can tell you how I take all my pictures with the wife's samsung (which must be pretty close)

- Always choose an angle which makes sure you don't have reflections on the model
- Try to find something to put your phone on so that you don't hold it in the air yourself (you WILL be shaking)
- Try to get lights sources from 2 different angles

I can show you how I take mine with the smartphone if yo want , just look at what I post to see if it's good enough for you (It's not good enough for me but I have no other choice right now...)

Naagruz

Asslessman":k6x5soks said:
- Try to find something to put your phone on so that you don't hold it in the air yourself (you WILL be shaking)
- Try to get lights sources from 2 different angles

These are HUGE. Lighting is where most folks screw up & getting rid of wiggle is a big help.
Additionally, proof/edit your photos prior to posting. I'm always mystified by folks who ask for an opinion on photos that could be used as Rorschach test bits. "Is it a bunny or an Orc with a difficult childhood?" ;)

Asslessman

Yep, Naagruz is right, I forgot to add unless you're equipped with daylight bulbs (whish I recommend since it's good for bothe painting and photos) you will want to "correct" the photos at least to get the whites right and to crop.

Asslessman

My last photos suck because I broke my whitelight bulbs (you're looking for 6000°K to 7000°K for proper "white" light) and that halogen bulbs tend to create a weird and very annoying artifact on the phone camera but here is how I set up things :

2014-01-26+20.52.34.jpg

The lights ar efrom IKEA and are quite cheap (around 7€), the bulbs will be more expensive though.

Next step for me is to get a proper camera with small tripod though...

Hope it helps.

EDIT, Oh and just beacuse I am silly doesn't mean you should place the backdrop upside down like I did in the photo... ;)

Have a look if your iphone has settings you can play with - you're looking for a 'macro' function. My galaxy s3 has it but I don't know about iphones. It allows very close up shots. Failing that you can take decent 'middle distance' pics with good lighting and a steady hand - you can crop the pics afterwards to the desired size and shape.

Hetz

And take about 6 shots from the angle you want, one will prolly turn out ok :grin: It's what I do with my iphone, I don't think there's a macro setting on there.

Erny

Another tip to avoid the shakes is to set the shutter on timer, say 2 seconds. Actually pushing the shutter button can move the camera even on a steady surface, with small items you need to stop any movement. Setting the timer means you can steady the camera on a surface and pushing the shutter button doesn't happen at the same time as taking the photo.

Using the ipad I also found it easier to use the machine with the lens at the bottom rather than the top.

Back