Dark Elf Banners

ardyer

So, I've set upon my first Dark Elf Standard bearer where I have to make a banner (in progress):

However, I'm at a loss for what to do with the banner. All the dark elf banners I've seen on the internet are, well, boring. I'd really like to do something old school, but I'm just not really sure what...I'm not that creative of a person. But I know there are some quite creative people here who I thought I could mine for ideas :mrgreen:

Also, as a side note, I was really wanting to follow Orlygg's tutorial here, but tomato puree doesn't come in a tube here in the States (at least not that I've seen, here it's always in a can). Does anyone know what might be equivalent to make a banner out of?

Aiteal

does toothpaste not come in foil tubes?
or is it all plastic there now too

skull in heart with thorns is really the only 'old-school' (albeit marauder era) standard I remember for DE's

edit: perhaps go for a slannesh banner, DE's were pretty much followers of Slannesh if chaotic (rather than plain old evil) iirc

Asslessman

A lot of creams come in the same kind of metal tubes. Another easier method is to do them with paper with Nico's article, from a white sheet of paper or even from a photocopy and with some washes here and there, you can actually make a perfect banner in no time.

As for inspiration, you can try some original stuff lfrom non hobby sources. For example, I took a lot of satanist ocnogrpahy for my chaos army (not from personnal beliefe but it was fitting the way I see my army).

Chico

I'd go for a big pair of boobs... but for the banner i'd say a Icon of Slaanesh or chains/hearts

Jeff McC

Ardyer,
I think the Tom's of Maine brand toothpaste still has a metal tube (last time I got one it had a plastic top coat, but primer caused that to bubble up and peel right off). Your other source would be a really good art supply store, they should have empty paint tubes (open at the bottom) for those who make their own oil paints, the metal of those tubes would probably also be about right.

ardyer

Jeff McC":fmstudpc said:
Ardyer,
I think the Tom's of Maine brand toothpaste still has a metal tube (last time I got one it had a plastic top coat, but primer caused that to bubble up and peel right off). Your other source would be a really good art supply store, they should have empty paint tubes (open at the bottom) for those who make their own oil paints, the metal of those tubes would probably also be about right.

Good ideas, which is sad considering I have three tubes of oil paint on my painting table at the moment and the thought never crossed my mind!

I might pull out my copy of slaves to darkness and look at some Slannesh stuff.

ardyer

Asslessman":3ksxiucz said:
A lot of creams come in the same kind of metal tubes. Another easier method is to do them with paper with Nico's article, from a white sheet of paper or even from a photocopy and with some washes here and there, you can actually make a perfect banner in no time.

As for inspiration, you can try some original stuff lfrom non hobby sources. For example, I took a lot of satanist ocnogrpahy for my chaos army (not from personnal beliefe but it was fitting the way I see my army).

I thought about that, but with most of the dark elf banner bearers carrying flag poles, I'm afraid paper won't give me the sense of motion that I want.

The inspiration idea is great though, I'll definitely be looking up occult images.

Blue in VT

For banner material I buy one of the big disposable turkey roasting pans and cut out all the flat parts. That's what I used for my WK zweihanders. Some Chinese food comes in suitable Aluminum as well.

Cheers

Blue

ardyer

Blue in VT":3ljj70j0 said:
For banner material I buy one of the big disposable turkey roasting pans and cut out all the flat parts. That's what I used for my WK zweihanders. Some Chinese food comes in suitable Aluminum as well.

Cheers

Blue

Any more info on how you did the one in that picture? Did you cut out one "triangle" and leave a tab to wrap around the pole, or did you use two connected triangles glued together? (Does that question even make sense?)

Nico

Try this link : http://nico-realmsofchaos.blogspot.fr/search/label/Tutorial

It's a tutorial for paper banner, you can try first with a Black & White banner from white dwarf or army book 4th ed.

You can easily shape the paper banner (after paint), for a more dynamics effect.
Like this :

13GunzForteress.jpg

12BattleForteress.jpg

EvilSunzbis.jpg

ardyer

Thanks, Nico! If you don't mind my asking how did you shape it? The few times I tried that I was just left with creases...as a result tended go banner-less until plastic banners released.

Golgfag1":84ajicqi said:
I use wine/champagne foil, easily cut and shaped, and a joy to collect! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

And really available in my house already :grin:

Blue in VT

ardyer":3ankn632 said:
Blue in VT":3ankn632 said:

Cheers

Blue

Any more info on how you did the one in that picture? Did you cut out one "triangle" and leave a tab to wrap around the pole, or did you use two connected triangles glued together? (Does that question even make sense?)

I left a tab and wrapped/glued that around the banner pole. So with this material even a single thickness is sturdy enough to put in the wave and wrinkles and really bring a flag to life. Plus I've always found it nearly impossible to line up two shapes wrapped around a pole...it never works out right. :?

Cheers,

Blue

ardyer

Blue in VT":23rbz6gz said:
I left a tab and wrapped/glued that around the banner pole. So with this material even a single thickness is sturdy enough to put in the wave and wrinkles and really bring a flag to life. Plus I've always found it nearly impossible to line up two shapes wrapped around a pole...it never works out right. :?

Cheers,

Blue

What do you do about the seam between the tab and the banner to keep it from looking ugly?

Blue in VT

I'll see if I can take a picture of the back...but if I remember correctly it is wrapped around the pole...and the end is tucked behind the flag itself so its not obvious. Of course there is the matter of what to paint on the back... :? I certainly didn't try to replicate the image from the front on the back...but you won't see these guys from the back anyway...Dwarfs with big sword don't run away! 8-)

Cheers,

Blue

Erny

With foil flags, I'm lucky enough to have access to the puree tubes, the foil holds a crease very easily. Tucking the end of a single piece flag round the back and creasing the flag where it touched the pole removes all signs of a join.

At some point I'm going to see how easy it is to use the stuff for barding or caparisons.

Naagruz

Golgfag1":39a2d904 said:
I use wine/champagne foil, easily cut and shaped, and a joy to collect! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1
I'm with Paul on this one. :grin:
There are some qualitative differences in the different capsules, but you get realistic tears & bends. Paper with a few coats of acrylic on it is great for pennants & anything with a stiff breeze behind it.

Chico

I plan on using the foil which comes on these:

images

mrkipling_cherry_bakewells2.jpg

Cheap and I get to eat them first :grin: win/win.. sept I'm diabetic.. opps

Asslessman

I'm sorry and apologise in advance for the derailing :
@Chico : CAKE! I LOVE CAKE!
tumblr_lsty5bMCpO1qa5pgh1.jpg

Back on track
I wouldn't want to try these since you'd have to flatten it up and remove all the wrinkles beforehand.
One thing is if you're looking for some tomato purée metal sheet, just PM me your address and I'll end you a sheet.

Chico

It's fine it smooths out very well using the flat of a pen, plus i'm going for pendants rather then full blown flags

Back