Help - Citadel Expert Paint Set - Inks!!

Hi folks... curious about a technique I see in the old citadel paint guides found in the White Dwarf issues and leaflets (circa 1987-1993)... It involved the original citadel inks, and the technique was called glazing.
If you read the guides carefully, they explain this technique as a way to blend all of your highlights together, creating a much more unified feel to the miniature. The ink is often described as watered down to thin or even considered 'transparent'.
My question... what ratio of water to ink is used to get the best effect for this? Are the brush tips damp, dry? Are there any other tips you guys have for this? I have acquired a mint, still sealed citadel Expert Set, and definitely want to apply this trick to my minis... do you use water to thin your paints or perhaps a medium like Vallejo glaze?
This style is all over those old 'eavy metal pics and is truly an authentic way to replicate the oldhammer minis precisely... Blanchitsu, anyone?

I've always wanted to master it. What are your thoughts :?:

ardyer

Glazing can be done with inks or paint. There is no set ratio, but a glaze is basically tinted water. So in other words, super thin. It should take multiple coats before you even see a difference.

Also, makes sure to dab your brush in a piece of paper towel to wick away the excess liquid. A glaze is not a wash, it should not flood the model.

ardyer

Also, they're is a product called glaze medium, Vallejo makes some but so do other companies, and it can help with a glaze. It does two things: 1. It softens the colors a little, and 2. it helps keep the pigment suspended.

If you pick some up, stop mix in lots of water.

ardyer

It's the technique I described above. Thin the inks down to tinted water, blot you brush to get rid of excess water, paint on the tinted water, let dry, repeat until you're happy.

The idea is to change the tonal nature of the color.

lgmdaniel

ardyer":2jk8gl26 said:
It's the technique I described above. Thin the inks down to tinted water, blot you brush to get rid of excess water, paint on the tinted water, let dry, repeat until you're happy.

I've not tried or seen something like that before. I might have to have a experiment.

ardyer

lgmdaniel":1hkuso8p said:
ardyer":1hkuso8p said:

I've not tried or seen something like that before. I might have to have a experiment.
Check out this video on the subject, it's a bit long but he's great at breaking down techniques: https://youtu.be/N88NtHNmz1Q

lgmdaniel

ardyer":tin3h497 said:
lgmdaniel":tin3h497 said:
ardyer":tin3h497 said:

Check out this video on the subject, it's a bit long but he's great at breaking down techniques: https://youtu.be/N88NtHNmz1Q

Excellent, ta.

Thank you for the responses and the link to the video - the best I have seen! You know your stuff! Going to put these techniques to use now and I will post some pics with the results

ardyer

spirit_light_speed":25qss8a7 said:
Thank you for the responses and the link to the video - the best I have seen! You know your stuff! Going to put these techniques to use now and I will post some pics with the results
I wish that was mine

Vince's channel is great for a break down of techniques. They're well recorded and well explained. I heartily recommend watching most of his videos.

ardyer

matthewbaron":3k2ei9ma said:
I would like to thank you for the information you have provided so far. It requires a lot of hard work and efforts.
Quite welcome, check it his whole channel, it's worth the time.

Back