Chillin' Like a Villain?

MadGav

I've been spray painting some old lead with a GW can and have been having problems. With light spraying, the paint tended to stick in the crevices and leave the raised surfaces bare. So I thought I would give them a second light coat - but now it's too thick and some of the detail has been lost :cry: .

Any suggestions? I was doing it in the garage (ventilation y'know) when it was only 4C outside so I'm thinking it may have been too cold. The can does say 15-25C, which I thought was just one of those instructions you don't need to worry about. But perhaps you do.

I've never had this problem with previous spray cans but it did make me wonder if GW have changed the formulation and it no longer works so well on metal.

Any thoughts?

Berkut666

Did you shake the can well and was it spraying ok?

Have the minis been properly cleaned before spraying?

I don’t use GW cans, instead I prefer the Army Painter ones. The only issue I have had with temp and humidity with them is it tends to discolour the intended colour a bit.

Plaiecivile

Being Canadian I often go through that kind of conditions ;)

These days I undercoat my miniatures in the garage at about the same temperature than you.

Here are my 3 checks for good results:

- Area free of dust; being in the garage, I have an old soda box opened only on front and top which I store face down so I get no other particles when spraying.
- Miniature temperature; It needs to be room temperature, can be a bit cooler down to 10 degC. If your miniatures are too close to freezing point, the paint drops will solidify too quickly and they will stack up instead of blending in one layer. You will end up with a miniature that as a porous undercoat, with voids and cracks. A real mess!
- Spray can temperature; I always keep those at room temperature, around 20degC. Physical properties of the paint drops will change dramatically because the viscosity of your paint will rise up as it cools down. It may even loose its homogeneity and then who knows the end result! Frankly by reading your post, it feels like this is your main issue.

Plus I would look for distance of spraying, being too close tends to push the paint away from raised areas and have it accumulate in the crevices.

Back