Weathering the Mighty Fortress

Jeff McC

Hi All,
I managed to pick-up a mighty fortress (the old polystyrene one) in excellent condition from ebay. I'm seriously considering trying to weather the fortress in a manner similar to what's shown in the Warhammer Siege book. I'm thinking that I don't want to prime and then paint the whole thing, but rather build up the weathering atop the polystyrene - so I'm leaning towards India ink thinned with isopropyl alcohol. Does any one have any experience with painting the fortress? I know spray paints are right out as they'll eat the polystyrene, but I was wondering if anybody had any other useful advice...
Thanks in advance
-- Jeff

Asslessman

No experience with the mighty fortress but I have painted polystyren before and you can use spray cans if you paint the whole piece before hand with diluted PVA glue to protect it (you might want to try on some junk polystyrene first) to which you can even add (very) fine sand if you have some. Leaving some areas unprotected can be a good first weathering since it will melt and look like impacts form cannon bullets.
Otherwise I tend to use cheap acrylic paint tubes of black and white to make a dark grey I paint all over and then it's drybrush with clearer greys until I'm happy.

Thantsants

I don't think other than mentioning touching up a few spots we got on to discussing methods of painting the fortress back then! I'd go with the A-man's suggestion of cheap acrylics - that's what I'll be using on mine when I finally get round to it...

From a quick look on google it seems that isopropyl alcohol melts polystyrene but correct me if I'm wrong - or are you wanting to melt parts of it as part of your weathering?

Jeff McC

I was concerned that if I thinned with water, it would bead up and run off, may have to find a third thinner if isopropyl alcohol melts polystyrene...

ardyer

Checked this and the other thread abd didn't see this discussed. I've had a mighty fortress for years that was only a quarter painted. I'm thinking about completing it soon, but my normal weathering prices involves oils thinned with turpentine. Does anyone know if that would melt/damage polystyrene?

Galadrin

You might test it on the bottom of a wall section. My guess is that isopropyl and spray paint would melt away the styrofoam, though.

mbh

I had a pal who tried to spray his MF back in the day.

turned it into a nurgle castle

Have you tried weathering powders/pigments? Essentially they are chalk/soft pastels (not oil pastels) ground to a powder and rubbed into the area you want weathered. There are various tutorials on youtube and floating around the place on how to use them.

Jeff McC

I did consider dry pigment, but I think I still have the "eats Styrofoam" concern when it comes to applying a fixative to keep the pigments in place once they've been applied...

ardyer

What I've decided to try fir mine is water soluble oils for the weathering. Obviously, I'll try it in a discrete location first. I just need the weather too warm up so I can get my spray gun out fir the base coat :)

Back