How do you store your paint?

Asslessman

OK, community call here.

I've just moved home and I am in the middle of getting my hobby range in place. One thing still bothers me and this thing is how to display my paintbottles a convenient way so it doesn't take all the space on my desk while making it still easy to pick.
I usually keep my bottles in a box and all of them are ordered by colour but in the end, they always end up in random order on my desk amongst models.
I wonder if some of you have had the problem and what kind of answers may have arisen from that...

Cheap or even scratchbuilt solutions would be favored but any idea here is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: How do you store you paint?

Asslessman":3qbqdkxm said:
OK, community call here.

I wonder if some of you have had the problem and what kind of answers may have arisen from that...

I am always getting my paints mixed up but I basically store all paints in a couple see through acrylic boxes/cases so that I can see what is in which box without having to open it. I don't believe in ordering paints by colour or any anal retentive practices, I have long suspected that being neat and tidy is against my human nature and a hindrance to my chaotic creative processes - any ordered collection will be eroded by me using it over time. This process of jumbling the colours up in the boxes randomly often draws me to view a random combination of colours, or see a colour which I have not used in ages, that might be useful in a current project.

Having said that I like to have the inks and paints in seperate boxes. Anything functionally similar gets stored together is the rule of thumb.

When I work on a project I take the subset of paints I need and put them in their own temporary project box. This way I can quickly clear off my painting space at without having to think about which paints go where. I tend to end staying up painting up until I am bleary eyed at 3am so being able to sweep all my paint into a box before the cats decide to play hide the chaos black is important!

Asslessman

Thanks for the info !

I'm not big on excessive tidying myself but I sometimes realise that i had a ready made bottle of that pain-to-mix red or yellow or whatever and that I 've just lost time. I also tend to buy bottles of what I already have (3 unopened black ink bottles for ex.)
Letting them go rogue on th epainting range is fun but it's also the best way to make a model fall when you're trying to reach a certain bottle with a brush in the hand. There's no real cure for my clumsiness and the only thing to do is to leave not place for it, hence my need to tidy things a bit... ;)

The paint hangers ardyer showed might be the thing I need. DO people know if ot's reliable stuff? It is not expensive at least.

ardyer

Asslessman":2367dw6i said:
Thanks for the info !

I'm not big on excessive tidying myself but I sometimes realise that i had a ready made bottle of that pain-to-mix red or yellow or whatever and that I 've just lost time. I also tend to buy bottles of what I already have (3 unopened black ink bottles for ex.)
Letting them go rogue on th epainting range is fun but it's also the best way to make a model fall when you're trying to reach a certain bottle with a brush in the hand. There's no real cure for my clumsiness and the only thing to do is to leave not place for it, hence my need to tidy things a bit... ;)

The paint hangers ardyer showed might be the thing I need. DO people know if ot's reliable stuff? It is not expensive at least.

They're just press board so don't drop anything heavy on them. I had one "flange" break when I didn't lift a GW bolter-shell bottle out high enough and then tugged to hard, but other than that, they've been pretty sturdy. And for the price I paid, I'm not complaining...even shipped all the way to the USA.

Just John

I made a really cheap and easy paint rack thats attached to the wall in front of my paint desk. But then I'm an occasional neat freak who needs a place for everything - not that it has to be there mind you.

Asslessman

Just John":yqb2hkbh said:
I made a really cheap and easy paint rack thats attached to the wall in front of my paint desk. But then I'm an occasional neat freak who needs a place for everything - not that it has to be there mind you.
Well some photos and the complete blueprints of this rack would be perfect ! :grin: I need place for my paint to give more space to my models !

Naagruz

THESE are solid if you are just using vallejo. I've also seen an ingenious solution using a homemade wine rack style holder for vallejo/craft paint tubes that I someday hope to imitate.

The biggest challenge is making sense out of all the different bottles. I'd love to see a tidy, organized way to store everything from Humbrol tins to oils. :)

Asslessman

Naagruz":3kb9j6ra said:
The biggest challenge is making sense out of all the different bottles. I'd love to see a tidy, organized way to store everything from Humbrol tins to oils. :)

You're right !
I have all sorts of tins and bottles so JJ's solution might be the one if I don't buy the ready made version with high trays.

Mutantdale

When I saw the topic I was so tempted to reply with in pots.
On a serious note though mine are just in boxes that I rummage through. The frequently used colours sit on the desk.
I find this helps me for painting as I am always finding colours I forgot I had. Plus I must have over 100 pots of paint now as a lot I bought in the early days are still good now and I used to buy the new range each time gw changed it..

MD

Just John

Ok here goes Mr. Ass. First up some photos of the finished product.

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

and a close up

DSC_0049.JPG

this kinda shows that its two pieces of plastic glued together - the second smaller one acts as the lip that stops the paint sliding off. Its not really necessary but better safe than sorry.

DSC_0050.JPG

The raw material consists of a sheet of wood cut to the size you need. Plastic strip - I've no idea what its called but it look like this and is about 25mm tall/wide (Thats 1" for the imperialists out there) One strip was about 2.4m long and its not expensive. You can get it in most hardware stores here.

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

I don't have a spare piece of the other strip I used for the edge but it's a lot smaller and any similar size will do. You will need 2 types of glue - contact adhesive to glue the plastic to the wood and super glue to glue the two strips of plastic together. I also used some panel pins to keep it together while the glue set.

DSC_0053.JPG

There aren't really any plans as such. Make the shelves as tall as you need, its all up to you. I found this idea online somewhere but I can't find the links so apologies to whoever I stole the idea from.

Asslessman

Well, I love ot and I will consider trying it as soon as I can? Thanks a lot for taking the time to show this. This i sa good way to make it just the way I want it !

zoggin-eck

For anyone wanting something really cheap/simple, I used a bunch of Ikea "BEKVÄM" spice racks stacked on top of each other. I used some adhesive velcro dots to hold them on top of each other, but be able to remove them. I was going to add some "legs" or just a length of angle so it couldn't fall forward, but it hasn't been an issue. They cost less than a pot of paint each. Note that the dropper style bottles have to sit on the top.

Here's mine when it was half full:

room05_zpsd9df9003.jpg

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/20176244/

Asslessman

Great too. A bit more expensive than JJ's but probably stronger if fixed correctly on a wall or wood board. I can't really tell from the picture but how many bottles can you put in one tray when they're next to each other?
Thanks for the pics and link.

zoggin-eck

Here's a better pic. It looks like each full two-deep rack hold 22 pots regardless of what "era" citadel they are, same of course for Coat D'arms and P3.

room04_zps339e25a5.jpg

I went this way so I can add to it as needed without having to match something I made earlier (I actually starter with four racks and went back multiple times over the next week :)). You could easily glue them together for strength or, as you say, to a backing board. That way they could be made higher for dropper bottles, for example.

ardyer

Here's what the trays from that Polish manufacturer look like, they are the large trays:

I apologize for the mess, a mouse got into my hobby area and got drunk on airbrush lube. I haven't put everything back after cleaning yet.

Asslessman

HUuum, I will count how many bottles/tns I have to see. You know you'll also have to show us those chaos knights at some point (even though they're plastic), the colours looks very good.

ardyer

Asslessman":yy8v9kz5 said:
HUuum, I will count how many bottles/tns I have to see. You know you'll also have to show us those chaos knights at some point (even though they're plastic), the colours looks very good.

Thanks, they were supposed to be my 2010 Golden Demon entry for fantasy unit :lol: The unassembled riders are actually in the plastic cup next to the brush cleaner! I hope to actually finish them sometime in 2014.

Here is my tiny little workstation...I paint in the lotus position (cross legged sitting on the floor :| )

I painted the names of the paints on the tops of my pots too cause I got so tired of sifting through them all the time
DSCF0838_zpse0527a70.jpg

Back