At which stage of painting would you stick plastics shields?

antipixi

OK, here's the thing. I'm preparing some Realm of Chaos beast men for painting to use in a Chaos Warband campaign. They have plastic shields [which I have sculpted stuff onto, after inspiration from this forum]. So my question is, when would you stick the shields on? Pre-painting or paint them separately to avoid the issue of trying to get in behind the shield?

I've changed my mind about this several times, so any thoughts are very welcome.

Chris
P.S. I promise pics once they're painted, but don't expect any masterpieces.

Blue in VT

Re: At which stage of painting would you stick plastics shie

Obviously it's a matter of choice but I paint mine separately and attach them at the very end of the process but before varnishing.

Cheers,

Blue

Jeff McC

I always paint the shields separately and add them at the end. For what its worth I've found a bit of cardboard and a couple of strips of double sticky tape works well for holding the shields while painting them.

Naagruz

Honestly, it depends on the mini.
If having a shield added early on makes painting more difficult, then I'll add it later. As that isn't always the case, I prefer to add shields prior to painting.

I'm a commitment-phobe so I never glue on shields, it's blu-tac all the way! :lol:

antipixi

Cheers for the replies. I've decided to paint them seperately, as it'll be mmurder to try to get a paintbrush behind the shields.

Hopefully get some time over Xmas to make a start on them.

Asslessman

I do glue them before painting to add green stuff straps and things of the sort (especially if I keep th eboss of the model and let is through the shield... but then I always regret it because I can't get access to the rear :? It all depends on the level of detail you want to achivee on the rear side anyway...

Erny

Yep depends what quality you are going for. With a war band you have so few figures you may as well paint first then add shields.

Mutantdale

I compromise on mine.. I paint the backs then glue them on then paint the rest with the mini as a whole

Guess I'm just awkward.

MD

Naagruz

A question for all of those folks who always attach the shield last: Do you still bother painting areas you'll never see?
Personally, I won't paint it if it doesn't show on the finished mini.

ardyer

Naagruz":10tmi20y said:
A question for all of those folks who always attach the shield last: Do you still bother painting areas you'll never see?

Yep, because it takes too much energy to think about what will and won't be visible and it takes very little energy to paint the entire back of the shield.

Naagruz":3w00nr92 said:

Sadly, all my best painting seems to happen in places noone will ever see. I painted a really awesome blood/gore/pie stain on marauder giant's tunic, only to glue the barrel on his belt and conceal it forever... i was so proud of the splash effect too :cry:

Aiteal

Metal shields and wire spears were the bane of my existence when I was working on my foundry vikings for Saga, so much so that I stopped buying the figures and switched to musketeer minis as many of them are designed with solid hands I could drill out to place a wire spear in
I normally primed the minis and shields with a small blob of blu-tac covering the contact points on the hands/reverse of the shield boss so I wasn't glueing paint to paint

older citadel minis with the big bosses built onto the minis are less hassle, but i do tend to paint the shield separately then glue it on
I have a soft spot for those minis produced between the period when slottas were introduced but before the plastic shields arrived on the scene.

I paint the shield separately, and attach it once the mini is done.
The same goes for hybrid minis, I do the arms and weapons last after checking the posing.

Back