Tab or no tab?

Silversixx

Hi guys!
In the midst of preparing some chaos miniatures for a small skrimish. However, I'm one of those bastards that enjoys thin round bases. That raises a small issue, and this one comes from a rather silly (but maybe logical) angle:
Do you believe that a clipped of tab renders the miniature incomplete? As in, will it perhaps decrease in value?

I will obviously keep these minis forever, but just in case something happens, I'd be able to raise any potential capital (not that much in this case).

/S

Chico

I only clip the tabs from figures if I know I'm never going to trade/sell them on as to some it does indeed lower value (If you just going to collect and nothing else you may as well just collect perfect ones is there point of view).

Asslessman

Well an option can be to keep the cut tab and to stick it somewhere under the base if it's thick enough (which is not your case apparently :

2013-09-15+20.54.16.jpg
2013-09-15+20.44.34.jpg

or hidden in the base like here :
MB_AMAZONECHAOS_02.jpg

but just be honest with yourself about you selling them or not. There are some for which the answer is obvious, for those where the choice is not, better keep the tab... ;)

Mutantdale

If its for gaming i don't worry about a tab but if I am collecting (which I do a lot) then if it has no tab its not complete for me.
If you are going to keep them then it should not really matter though..

MD

Orjetax

I only buy something I want to paint and use, so it wouldn't matter to me. I'd still pay whatever price I was willing to pay. I'd expect many share this view -- that's why when folks post pictures of pristine unopened blisters from long ago, they are inevitably exhorted to tear them open and get painting and embracing the joy of these old models.

To some who wants to buy and admire, I suspect the tab issue does matter. So if you cut off a tab, you're probably turning off at least some potential future buyers.

I'm my mind, it's more an issue of "Fewer people will be interested in buying," versus some decrease in "value" per se (it's not like there's some price guide for all this).

I am a vote for you removing tabs if that's what you want to do, and urge you not to let issues like this complicate your Oldhammer enjoyment. We ain't comic book collectors, you know!

My two cents.

The only reason I prefer the tab is because it helps the miniature stay on/in the base.

I don't value a tabless mini as highly when buying, but if it's a mini I am really after it will not stop me.

I only buy stuff to paint and use myself though.

Naagruz

Use your base+tab & putty out. Does it matter if the minis are on a small mound?

I base out lots of 2nd-3rd WFB stuff & just putty around the tab or preslotta base. The additional height actually presents more opportunity for bringing detail to the mini.

Silversixx

Great input lads. Especially when there two "extremes" with one collector and one gamer :)
My main issue is with the form of the GW round bases and their inward tilt. But, I found out that warbases do a slotted 3mm round base, so I ordered some :) Best of two worlds!

Back