recommended brushes ?

General questions & discussion involving all things painting, modeling & photography. 

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:00 pm

Re: recommended brushes ?

I also use these quite often for larger work, washes, occasional drybrushing (when they get worn):
https://www.therange.co.uk/hobbies-crafts/art-supplies/art-brushes/all-purpose-brushes/5pc-gold-taklon-round-set#469239

Not great for any standard of fine work but no loose hairs that I've found and they hold a good quantity of ink.

Post Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:36 pm

Pumpkineater wrote:heya Berkut,

was wondering about the army painter ones as well, just as basic brushes so to speak.
so you have good experience with those then ?

Yes I have. But as I said I only have the fine detail ones (triangle handle) Only tried their brushes as I like their paints! Especially their colour primers.

Post Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:21 pm

thanks dear people for all the tips, def will try them, cheers all :D

Post Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:27 pm

I use "Da Vinci" red sable brushes for acrylic paint. I use always brush soap for cleaning. My favorite and most used brushes are almost ten years old now and have still a perfect tip. I recommend to buy brushes in a real store as one can assure to get a brush with a good tip.

Personally I've made only negative experience with synthetic brushes, although I took good care of them. The paint seemed to stick on the brush hair. So they got ruined in a very short time.

Post Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:20 am

Thanks Mophus for the brush cleaning soap tip, what brand do you use if I may ask ? and is there a certain way to use the soap ?

Post Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:59 am

Pumpkineater wrote:Thanks Mophus for the brush cleaning soap tip, what brand do you use if I may ask ? and is there a certain way to use the soap ?

I use a da Vinci brush soap, but I think every soap is better then none. First I put the tip in water an clean the brush with a kitchen paper towel. Than I make it wet again and pull the brush hair with careful strokes above the soap surface. I repeat this step until there's no more paint coming out of the brush.

It's surprising how much paint is still left in the brush hair, when a brush was "cleaned" without soap.

Post Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:24 am

Mophus wrote:
Pumpkineater wrote:Thanks Mophus for the brush cleaning soap tip, what brand do you use if I may ask ? and is there a certain way to use the soap ?

I use a da Vinci brush soap, but I think every soap is better then none. First I put the tip in water an clean the brush with a kitchen paper towel. Than I make it wet again and pull the brush hair with careful strokes above the soap surface. I repeat this step until there's no more paint coming out of the brush.

It's surprising how much paint is still left in the brush hair, when a brush was "cleaned" without soap.

The main problem I've found with brush soap is that it tastes horrible! :lol:

As for brushes, I must admit, I've gone through many different types at different prices over the years, and always end up going back to GW's own range. They're surprisingly and consistently good.

Post Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:31 pm

I recomend "The Masters" brush cleaner and preserver. It comes in a beige tub.

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:57 am

I made an amazing yet disturbing discovery that has changed my brush buying habits, but also guilts me out a bit. How do you feel about farm produced sable? I think its a shame they dont do more free range farms, in general, but you cant argue with the price.

Royal & Langnickel Gold Taklon. Sable, hold their point, nice absorbency/paint load, good firmness. £2.80. for 3. YES< £2.80 FOR 3!!!!

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/royal--lan ... 61358-1000
https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/royal--lan ... 61357-1000

I use them, they are great. Also, bristles start to bend? NEW BRUSH! Issue with paint in the base? NEW BRUSH! You get 3 in a pack. They are excellent quality, well I would say 4 out of 5. You do occasionally get a duff brush in a pack, and Im sure they are not quite the same handling qualities as a £30 brush. I swear by them and they fulfill all my needs.

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:59 am

dieselmonkey wrote:

As for brushes, I must admit, I've gone through many different types at different prices over the years, and always end up going back to GW's own range. They're surprisingly and consistently good.

!!!!
PreviousNext

Return to Painting & Modeling