recommended brushes ?

Gallivantes

ramshackle_curtis":4kf5db0t said:
Royal & Langnickel Gold Taklon. Sable, hold their point, nice absorbency/paint load, good firmness. £2.80. for 3. YES< £2.80 FOR 3!!!!

Are you using the synthetic ones? Or sable ones? Or both? The links there go to synthetic (Taklon), but you mention sable also.

Apologies for getting on to you for the wording, just want to know what the recommendation is for :)

Those prices are certainly hard to beat so it piqued my interest a bit.

Fimm McCool

ramshackle_curtis":exnawi2b said:
dieselmonkey":exnawi2b said:
As for brushes, I must admit, I've gone through many different types at different prices over the years, and always end up going back to GW's own range. They're surprisingly and consistently good.

!!!!

Indeed. I have found them consistently crap. I use their 'fine detail' brushes for drybrushing!

ramshackle_curtis":exnawi2b said:
How do you feel about farm produced sable?

It's why I don't use anything but synthetic brushes. My hobby enjoyment doesn't justify that kind of nastiness.

Fimm McCool":35rjm8bs said:
ramshackle_curtis":35rjm8bs said:
dieselmonkey":35rjm8bs said:
As for brushes, I must admit, I've gone through many different types at different prices over the years, and always end up going back to GW's own range. They're surprisingly and consistently good.

!!!!

Indeed. I have found them consistently crap. I use their 'fine detail' brushes for drybrushing!

Strange, I've got a couple of GW detail brushes over ten years old that are still going strong. I ran out of base brushes recently and tried a few cheaper ones to no avail. Mind you, I do tend to go into WHW and rifle through the stock for the best points though. Pretty certain they're just rebranded W&N brushes anyway.

i use a mix of types for different things. some gw ones are good (but pricey IMO), i use winsor and newton for fine work where the tip is important, and use cheap packs of brushes from pro arte or green stuff world for more general work. the army painter brushes i have never really gotten on with. i bought some back when i first started painting and didn't like them, then tried again recently and still found them cheap and hard to use properly - like the brushes feel like they should be for broad work but only go on fine, if that makes sense, and the bristles don't last long before going everywhere. i think that there isn't one solution! i've been painting for more than five years now and i still haven't settled on a brand!

At the moment I am using brushes from Army Painter. I bought a pack with 3 different brushes: one Standard Brush, one Small Detail Brush, and one Drybrush. So far, I think they are some pretty nice brushes, but as they are still pretty new I can't tell how long they will stay this good. However, I also bought some Vallejo brush cleaner and brush restorer - so I hope that will help making them last longer.

BTW, I also bought an Army Painter "Insane Detail" brush a while ago. But I don't really like that brush - it's simply too small IMO. Then the Small Detail Brush is better.

Back