recommended brushes ?

General questions & discussion involving all things painting, modeling & photography. 

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:01 pm

recommended brushes ?

My kingdom for a proper brush...

dear people,

what brushes do you use ?

I bought some rosemary en co's recently and although I am reasonably happy with them, I still struggle with them somehow i.e. detailing, the point of the brush is not what it should be.

there must be some decent brushes out there, without going all winsor & newton and Raphael.

So , please help me out before I go insane :lol: :D

Tex

Post Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:09 am

Re: recommended brushes ?

Winsor&Newton here, even if I find them a little too "hard" ( when I'm blending or glazing I often must concentrate in order not to carve the already painted surface)
I tried Rosemary&co, but - on the other hand - I found them too soft and - as you say - their point leaves a lot to be desired.
But I grew up using synthetic brushes which didn't last a single mini, so I cant' really complain

Post Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:18 pm

Hey Tex,

thanks for the info.

You explained it perfectly; they are indeed too soft.

Well I will take the plunge with the winsor and newtons , thanks :) !

Post Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:28 pm

I use Pro Arte 1 to 10-0. They hold their points better and longer than any other brush I have found, are pretty cheap, synthetic and the super-thin ones have nice chunky handles to grip.

Post Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:00 pm

heya Fimm,

thanks for the reply :)

Never heard of those Pro arte brushes, found a website in the UK with only the descriptions, they have a lot of different brushes, I reckon it's the kolinsky sable series 1 right ? oh I am looking at the wrong brushes, damn, which are the synthetic ones you mentioned ? , want to look into those as well.

thanks and cheers
Last edited by Pumpkineater on Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:01 pm

I use Humbrol brushes more out of availability than desire as local shop has them. My old man used them back in the day for model railways and I have always stuck with them.

I have a few of the Army Painter ones too which are good for finer detail stuff

Post Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:03 pm

heya Berkut,

was wondering about the army painter ones as well, just as basic brushes so to speak.
so you have good experience with those then ?

Post Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks Fimm,

greatly appreciated! :)

Post Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:48 pm

I've been using Daler-Rowney Aquafine recently (a synthetic) in addition to some Winsor & Newton Series7 (and a tonne of random other brushes from who knows where), I'm quite fond of the Aquafine Flat Shader #2. Personally I've never found the Series 7 to be quite as amazing as their reputation, they are nice brushes however. I have a few Pro Arte brushes and they are as I recall quite decent.

I'd wondered about the Rosemary and Co brushes myself, guess a soft tip might be quite useful for blending.
Next

Return to Painting & Modeling