Mophus' White Dwarf Terrain

General questions & discussion involving all things painting, modeling & photography. 

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:49 pm

Mophus' White Dwarf Terrain

I've recently begun to make some of the White Dwarf Modelling Workshop and Warhammer buildings. I use 4mm strong balsa wood instead of foam board for better durability. The doors can be opened for better playability. I will use them mainly for SBH anderen SDS.

The Barn:

The Inn:
The text instructions and the attached plans are different in some details. Especially on the windows, timbering and dimensions of the single stage part of the inn. The plans are more like a sketch.

The Tower:

Walls and Fences:

Barrow:

Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:38 am

Re: Mophus' White Dwarf Terrain

Very nice! Really reminds me of the older white dwarf battle report scenery.

Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:48 pm

Great work I especially like the wall and gate.

Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:06 pm

I like the barrow in particular. Great craftsmanship on the buildings

Post Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:11 am

Many thanks for your comments!

The timbering on the inn is made of 1mm thick balsa. I don't like the timbering on the original. It's to strong in my opinion. The spaces between the timbering will be filled with filler. The timbering itself will therefore be masked, as the filler ruins the balsa wood structure and would be visible through the paint. I hope the wall surface is almost flat like real timbering, after the filler is applied.

The windows of the inn will be made of transparent plastic sheet with a black rhombus pattern or a black rhombus pattern mash, as I don't like the way the windows are made in the instructions. I think the transparent/black variant is more like the real windows on British medieval buildings.

The doors will be attached with little hinges (2*4)*8mm. I use the buildings mainly for the "Song of ..." rulesets with Warhammer/Napoleonic/WWII setting. Easy solved actions like bashing/opening doors and pushing/climbing ladders enrich the already fast and superb ruleset, so I want to have those possibilities considered in my buildings.

The tower is more of a prototype. I tried doors of cardboard and the structured paint receipt on it. I will make a new one with balsa wood door, removable stages and structured paint without adding sand.

I don't like the single colored bushes on the barrow anymore. Maybe I replace it with a K&M tree like on the original paragon.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:17 pm

Love them! What did you texture the tower with?

Post Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:12 pm

ardyer wrote:Love them! What did you texture the tower with?

I've tested two different methods on this tower. The first layer is a mixture of diluted PVA and a little bit canary sand. The second layer is instant filler (4,99 €/bucket, ACTION discounter, by Soriso) thinned with a few drops of water applied with dabs of a bristle brush.

Unfortunately, the result is not identical with the surface of the tower, which can be seen in many WD battle reports. To get the 1:1 result like on the Buildings in the old White Dwarfs use this (second) receipt instead:

Rough surface: Soriso instant filler applied with dabs of a bristle brush:

Less rough, but still structured Surface (the effect is almost identical to all wall and rock surfaces in the old White Award Battle Report scenery)): Slightly (only a few drops) with water diluted Soriso instant filler applied with dabs of a bristle brush:

Post Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:56 pm

loving how these are turning out :)

Return to Painting & Modeling