Old/new Coat d'Arms inks

CaesarAnto

hi all,
I’m trying to find a substitute for a couple of inks (red & green) that GW used to sell at the end of the ‘90s (the ones with the screw-on lids and the glossy finish).
From what I’ve gathered so far, Coat d’Arms manufactured paints for GW up to that generation, and supposedly the ones they’re producing now are the same thing. The problem though is that they seem to be mimicking the older generation (i.e. '80s-early '90s), and I don’t know whether the paints from the late ‘90s underwent any change. Did the inks from the ‘80s-early ‘90s have the same glossy/shiny finish as the screw-on lid ones from the late ‘90s? If that’s the case, are the current Coat d’Arms inks a perfect match?

If that’s not the case, would you happen to know a good substitute? I’ve heard about Liquitex and Winsor&Newton inks though I haven’t been able to find out if they have a glossy finish as well.

Thank you

CaesarAnto":8tinn3df said:
Did the inks from the ‘80s-early ‘90s have the same glossy/shiny finish as the screw-on lid ones from the late ‘90s? If that’s the case, are the current Coat d’Arms inks a perfect match?

I don't have any of the newer Coat d'Arms inks, but I can confirm that the old (original) Citadel inks did have a glossy finish. I've still got some!

I think its when they changed their names to 'washes' was when they went matte.

CaesarAnto

I asked a guy on Youtube and this is what I got:

Q: "hi, would you happen to know what a good substitute for the old citadel red ink would be? I remember using this glossy red ink in the early 2000s but it got discontinued...I've read of people suggesting coat of arms red ink but I don't think it's the same"

A: "I am now using some artistic inks, and they work much closer to what Citadel old washes used to in terms of glazing and flow. Coat d'Arms red is a nice ink, for sure, but doesn't work the same."

Q: "When you say that Coat d'Arms red ink doesn't work the same are you referring only to the flow or also to the tone and glossy finish?"

A: "flow is similar, rather liquid, although not as... sticky? It doesn't stain the same way. Color is deff different."

as I had already asked him two questions I didn't want to bother him by inquiring further on what he meant by 'sticky' and 'stain' :mrgreen: my impression is that he is correct, though I've seen the owner of BlackHat Miniatures commenting on several occasions that the paints they're currently producing are the same thing

Back