Pigments on the Cheap

Timbor

Wow, that looks really great. I have never used pigments before, so in terms of using turpentine or mineral spirits - is there a difference between the two? One the mineral spirits dry, can the pigments be rubbed off easily compared to acrylic paints?

Naagruz

Timbor":2wh6e7sy said:
Wow, that looks really great. I have never used pigments before, so in terms of using turpentine or mineral spirits - is there a difference between the two? One the mineral spirits dry, can the pigments be rubbed off easily compared to acrylic paints?
Turps, mineral spirits, & even alcohol can be used similarly. Using one over the other is really based on what paint is under the pigment layer & how much drying time you want. For example, I'd be careful about using turps over enamels or oils.

Pigments that are not fixed rub off easily & fixed pigments will rub off easier than acrylics. If you are using pigments on high-use gaming pieces, you will likely want to consider limiting pigments to the less handled parts of the mini.

ardyer

Just wanted to say thanks for the idea of mixing pigments with turpentine. I've mixed them with water, varnish, paint and resin, but never turpentine. It came out great for some mud stains I did last night.

Back