Experiences stripping paint from minis

Just John

witchfinderingeneral":1fz6zuen said:
optimus":1fz6zuen said:
Ethyl acetate....aka "acetone free nail polish remover". It will remove paint/glue from plastic without damaging it.

Cheers mate!

Just don't leave it in for too long, I have found that some of the older plastics don't react too well with it and have softened if left for longer than 10 mins. It will work but just be wary.

Just John":pp1b9trl said:
witchfinderingeneral":pp1b9trl said:
optimus":pp1b9trl said:
Ethyl acetate....aka "acetone free nail polish remover". It will remove paint/glue from plastic without damaging it.

Cheers mate!

Just don't leave it in for too long, I have found that some of the older plastics don't react too well with it and have softened if left for longer than 10 mins. It will work but just be wary.

I'm not sure which plastic you had that went soft after only 10 mins, but there's probably a multitude of different plastic types that have been used to make minis......as well as countries using their own different types too. You may have just had a type that obviously didn't like the chemical?

I've left plastic minis in ethyl acetate for a couple hours without an issue, but I can only speak from my own experience using this chemical, so I'd suggest doing a test run on a piece of scrap plastic first.......for your own peace of mind.

Just John

optimus":kuvup1ej said:
I'm not sure which plastic you had that went soft after only 10 mins, but there's probably a multitude of different plastic types that have been used to make minis......as well as countries using their own different types too. You may have just had a type that obviously didn't like the chemical?

If memory serves it was a couple of small round shields. It may have been a combination of fresh AFNPR and whatever the plastic was but I just remain wary of it. For cleaning metal its second to none

optimus":kuvup1ej said:
I've left plastic minis in ethyl acetate for a couple hours without an issue, but I can only speak from my own experience using this chemical, so I'd suggest doing a test run on a piece of scrap plastic first.......for your own peace of mind.

Couldn't agree more with this last bit :grin:

Vyper

I presume it's a product that is safe to export, if so I'm sure we could arrange for 'care packages' to be sent out. :grin:

Hey guys, I have some minis I've just picked up that have 20 year old paint jobs on them (and not good ones) so they need stripping. Normally I would use Detol but have heard Fairy Power Spray works a charm so I've picked some up but need to know do you use it just like Detol and if so how long should I leave the minis in it for, oh and is it safe with plastic?

Vyper

Hi Crucium Giger,

Fairy Power Spray is safe with plastic - I found this out after stripping metal models that were converted with plastic parts and I hadn't realised. That was some seriously thick paint!

Just spray or pour FPS onto the models and leave them in an airtight container such as a jam jar. Although I do know that apparently people use zip-lock bags too.

It should take about 24 hours for it to do it's work, just give the models a good scrub. If there are still troublesome bits of paint then dunk them for another 24 hours.

Thanks Vyper, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Edit: Just an update, I had both a tub of minis in Detol and a test tub of Power Spray which I cleaned off today. Let's just say the Power Spray is here to stay, fantastic stuff that worked a treat (and did appear to break the old super glue bond, which is what I wanted).

Kaaleb

There's some many goods tips. But, i live in Germany and i want Dettol & Fairy Power Spray to striß some miniatures (old lead) which has no undercoat. Have tryied Acetone and Nitro Thinner but the paints are more than hard to stripp.

My question to you, how much are Dettol(500ml) and FPS(375 or 500ml) in the UK and if it possible that an Oldhammer from UK can buy and send me these "8th Wonders of the World"? Have Paypal.

Cheers
Torsten

Hey Kaaleb have you tried Sterilium or Mellerud (Grundreiniger intensiv)? I strip my miniatures mostly with Mellerud, which is available at OBI, Sterilium I ordered at apotal.de (cheaper than to pick it up localy)

Lestodante

I use Dettol, it's not available here in Italy, but I found it on ebay.
It is good because I can leave plastic miniatures for days inside the jar.
Anyway some miniatures I bought on ebay are very hard to strip, even If I left them in for days.
I also have some difficult with removing old Model Master enamels (brown color), so I have to use a toothpick ore other stuff and use a more aggressive way.
On few models (taken on ebay from differnt sellers) I noticed that they released a very "gluey things" and I have to work very carefully on them or the brush become unuseful soon. It also tends to spread on the whole miniature, so before using the brush it's better to remove the most of the paint with a napkin.

weismonsters":14tz5wkw said:
Has anyone tried this Wargame Alchemy Model Backup stuff. I was thinking of getting some next ti,me i order from e-minis, because none of the usual stuff people recommend is available here.
apparently it will strip metal or plastic in 15 mins...

http://www.e-minis.net/wargame-alchemy/ ... 65947.html

I have been meaning to give an update on this for years, and finally got around to it. I have used this Model Back-up for all my models. One pot worked for about 40 miniatures in total and was still working ok even when the pot was full of gunk. Very quick and easy. I found that it was best to leave the models to soak for a half hour rather than the twenty minutes or so it says on the instructions. But now I have moved back to the UK, not sure if there is a local supplier- e-minis seem to be the only people selling it.

Back