Rebasing heroquest minis

lenihan

Anyone got any tips? I'm working on a batch of HQ fimir right now and want to base them for 3rd ed warhammer - some of them I bought off ebay and the fella I bought them from has stuck the hq base straight onto a slottabase, but I think that leaves the figure perched up too high, so I'd like to try something different.

Chico

I have re-based many many HQ figures (Mostly Fimir) the plastic is so random and varies from mini to mini (from hard and brittle to soft and bendy). Best way I found is to use a strong pair of clippers to cut/snip the base off a little bit at a time.

lenihan

Good to know you've had success in doing that. I've been scared off by people saying that the plastic was unworkable (perhaps because of this random variation), and because I only have the fimir with me and nothing that I'm more willing to sacrifice as a trial run, I didn't want to try it myself straight away. But I'm pretty confident in the quality of my clippers so I guess I'll get stuck in and see what happens.

Fimm McCool

I just used a very sharp knife to slice under the foot, but it does result in a skinny foot! But then, why would you want to rebase Heroquest Fimir when you can buy nice new metal Marsh Demons! (Haha, shameless plug!) 8-)

lenihan

Short answer is, because I have them so I want to use them!

But to be quite honest, I'm hoping that both can coexist in the same army... (Though not necessarily in the same units). What do you reckon?

Fimm McCool

Absolutely, it's almost like they were designed that way....

The Thrall model is much the same size as the HQ Fimir, the others are a range between that size and the size of the 40mm based Fimir. Good man! :grin:

Chico

Mixing HQ Fimir and other ranges? No never! who would dream of doing a thing like that... Oh wait nevermind ;)

phreedh

I've been clipping off quite a lot of HQ bases (and also grenadier plastics bases).

The key to success is to use small clippers, doing small clips. Work your way around the edges, and remember SMALL clips. If you try to take off a whole chunk at once you might end up with a plastic clipping projectile firmly lodged in your cornea. It's usually much quicker to do three or four small clips than to do two large, as you don't have to take as much care. As soon as you need to strain and apply pressure to the clipper, you're clipping off too much in one go.

I keep the mini cupped in my hand too, to avoid projectiles. Careful with the hand flab though, don't want to get that caught in the clippers. =)

Once the model is free you can trim down the plastic clogs a bit, to make them less elevated. I use clippers here too.

Zhu Bajie

My goodness. Aren't you chaps ruining your Heroquest figures by mercilessly hacking off their poor defenceless bases?

I was wondering whether the "sunken" bases designed for solid-based figures bases might work? Not tried, but...

25MMSQLIPPD.JPG

http://www.secondcitygames.co.uk/page22.htm

phreedh

Zhu Bajie":2oxobc88 said:
My goodness. Aren't you chaps ruining your Heroquest figures by mercilessly hacking off their poor defenceless bases?
Nah, we're increasing the value of yours. ;)

I even base mine on... round metal washers! :o

Fimm McCool

Zhu Bajie":2v77ugl9 said:

Nope, improving them. Although my HQ set are still on their plastic bases (I've only removed a ton of Fimir for my clan) they'd look much nicer if they'd given them proper bases like the SC minis.

Back