Primers?

Selkie

So I have been using Army Painter coloured primer for a while now with initially good results.
However recently I have been having some problems with the stuff "flaking" , I think it may just be that I have not shaken it well enough before use, could even be a bad batch, but whatever the reason, it has got me spooked. :shock:

When you have put so much time into painting something, the thought that the paint might actually fall away from the miniature (as seems to be happening with a couple of minis, though strangely some seem fine :cry: ) is not pleasant to say the least...

So my question is simple - what primer do you use/recommend for metal miniatures that is available in the UK?

Just John

Halfords Primers are what I use good value and I've never had any problems with them. They do different ones for metal and plastic and come in grey, white and black.

Chico

I just stick to GW's black, never had a problem and too old and lazy to bother to change now lol

Harry

I have used Halfords but they are not as flat matt as the GW ones ... which are really good.

Naagruz

I wouldn't bother with Army Painter. It's an overpriced rebrand.

Outside of that, was this a plastic, resin, or metal mini? Resin & plastic need to be washed; I use a Simple Green/water solution.
Krylon white & Rustoleum black primer are my favorites. They are inexpensive & don't have issues unless you are spraying in cold or high humidity. ;)

Aiteal

I spent a fortune on AP coloured primers, thinking it would speed up my glacial painting output, but I've found that they tended to be more sensitive to atmospheric conditions and 'dried' in the air much more frequently that other primers, so although the model looked primed, it was really just covered in flaky/dusty paint which rubbed off :(
So I went back to plasticote black primer from b&q and gave the models a light AP leather brown blast afterwards to help pick out detail.

I'm keen to find a good white primer myself for the zenithal priming/wash/dip method some folks are getting amazing looking results with.

Selkie

Cheers for the super speedy replies

The minis that had problems were all metal, I am in the habit of washing/cleaning everything before priming whether metal or plastic, better safe than sorry I say, so I am pretty sure it was not because of any mold release agent type stuff left on the mini before priming.

What Aiteal mentioned about atmospheric conditions seems like it could be the problem - the mini LOOKS primed but it rubs away or flakes very easily. I was probably too eager to get painting that I did not notice the problem until too late :oops: Your idea about priming with something else and then using the coloured primer sounds like a good idea.

Looks like I may have to go back to GW stuff though I will try Halfords or B&Q at the weekend and see what they've got, obviously the cheaper the stuff is the better...

Could be it was just a bad can but I think I will play it safe and try something else anyway, Thanks for the suggestions. :grin:

ardyer

Yea, that's definitely due to too much humidity even you sprayed. It's one of the reason I almost always prime with an airbrush now.

Fimm McCool

I generally favour Plastikote sprays, though Wilkinsons do a very good range of primers that are cheaper, matter and seem to spray finer so they're currently my number one choice for priming. I've also found Belton Molotow Premium sprays (intended for graffitti use) to give good base colours and allow acrylics to grip well. They are available in a huge range of colours and from a shop near me are 3 for £10.

Asslessman

Never had any issue with AP primers and I use them for the zenithal lighting as taught in my local shop where they estensively use this technique with an excellent result. It is atmospheric sensitive but most brands are. I never really know with primers if the problem comes from me (because of the weather, the way I spray,...) or the primer itself. Ther's been one occasion though where even a pro couldn't get anything but thick drops from a PA primer that ruined quite a lot of models.

I've used AP Primers a couple times. They seem to coat well, but mine did require I be closer to the mini than I'm usually comfortable with. It looked like it was going on too thick, but it dried beautifully. Testor's rattle cans do the same thing. I used to use their flat red to prime and basecoat my space marines way back when. It always looked too thick, then dried great.

Could it be drying in the air as someone mentioned above? Maybe experiment holding the can closer to the mini... or closer to the sacrificial-don't-mind-if-it-gets-screwed-up test piece.

Selkie

Wow I now actually have too many suggestions ;)

I decided to do an experiment with the AP coloured primer - spraying closer than before, shaking for ages and trying to simulate different atmospheric conditions.

I sprayed test minis outside, in my garage and in my shed (garage gets very hot, shed is cold but dry, outside was quite humid) and compared it to the last remaining dregs of the previous AP can which I never had problems with, the newer can still did not seem to stick properly in all 3 locations so I think it was just dodgy.
The older can seemed fine though maybe did not stick quite as well when used outside (it was quite humid - had been raining on and off all day, also was running out) Anyway I think mystery solved.

I think I will still keep a look out for the stuff people have suggested - the Belton Molotow Premium sprays that Fimm suggested sound great, a range of colours and 3 cans for the price of 1 AP can would be much kinder on the wallet so many thanks for that and everyone elses suggestions, I appreciate it :grin:

I tried Army Painter once and decided to never bother with it again after the can clogged leaving about a third of the paint trapped in it. I quickly discovered there have been a lot of people who have had problems with AP sprays. Consistency of quality seems the main issue.

mbh

I like army painter primer but it's a bit expensive.

In the past I used GW but I got stuck with too many of their older style cans that clog. So annoying.

I used to swear I would never buy the cheap auto primer but over the last year I broke down and bought a few cans. I wish I hadn't waited. Amazing price and very high quality. I can give the details for anyone in the us who's interested.

Naagruz

Just look at the logic:

- Buy product from a middleman, who doesn't specialize in that product, at a higher price.
- Buy product from a manufacturer, who specializes in that product, for far less.

Just think of all the money you will save & be able to repurpose towards buying old lead! :grin:

Back