Anyone used magnifying visors for painting?

Orlygg

I had one when I was much younger, but I always found good light (either bright daylight or a good quality lamp) was better than any magnification, at least for me. Perhaps some nifty painting specs might be a possibility Steve? :grin:

Orlygg":3sycczfi said:
I had one when I was much younger, but I always found good light (either bright daylight or a good quality lamp) was better than any magnification, at least for me. Perhaps some nifty painting specs might be a possibility Steve? :grin:

Even though I do think my vision is just starting to go, what's really made me think about a magnifier is painting eyes :( (not my own of course...those of the miniatures...)

Just John

I have one of those magnifying lamps for details - not that I ever use it. Makes my eyes go all funny :?

Asslessman

Just John":2o8qcf2s said:
I have one of those magnifying lamps for details - not that I ever use it. Makes my eyes go all funny :?
That happens when you put your tea mug too close to your painting mug...

As far as magnigying lamps are concerned, I find them annoying, I always put more paint on the glass than on the mini but I guess it's just a quetsion of getting used to it. Bainting the eyes is such a pain even with perfect eyes. I could do a gallery of failed eyes that would make you laug for a month...
One tip though someone gave me and which works fine for me is to not paint a black spot on white base but 2 white psots on a black base, it's really easier to correct the look this way.

phreedh

I bought a clip-on magnifyer for my glasses. Rather dorky, and not very useful. A few years ago I got a desk ring lamp with magnifying glass from my wife for my birthday. It did help immensely with painting eyes. Also, it's a good final step before saying "Done" as it shows how the mini will look when I take a close up photo of it. Any horrible mistakes can be amended then and there.

Just John

Asslessman":1qk42m6n said:
Just John":1qk42m6n said:
That happens when you put your tea mug too close to your painting mug...

You use separate mugs? That must be where I'm going wrong then....

A few years ago a sculptor friend of mine handed me his old reading glasses and suggested I use them when painting. I scoffed. Scoff! I had (and still have) 20/20 vision. But as I grew older it seemed like the miniatures were getting smaller and smaller. It turned out they were the same size, I was just having to hold them further and further away from my eyes to focus on them.

So now I wear some cheapo reading glasses. They are the kind you can buy at a pharmacy for a few dollars (or whatever counts for money in your neck of the woods). I've not used the over the head magnifier contraptions, though I have friends who do. I like the reading glasses because I can put them on the end of my nose and look through them whilst painting, then over them when getting paint or other actions I'd prefer not magnified. That and the wife thinks they're dead sexy, and that's her reward for letting me paint toy soldiers.

They are cheap enough to be worth a try, at least around my part of the world.

ardyer

I tried, but they kill my depth perception. I spend more time painting air than miniatures. But I know a U.S.slayer sword winner who uses one religiously. Give it a try if you think it will help.

As my eyesight deteriorates (I'm 56 and have had reading plus slight prescription now for the last 7 years) this has been more of an issue for me too. I had a very detailed discussion about it with my optician. His advice was to wear my normal glasses but to really pour more daylight on the subject!

He advised me that light rather than magnification is very often the biggest source of improvement. He was able to recommend and source a flexible daylight lamp which contains an 18watt fluorescent tube. It is brilliant as I can bend the neck of the lamp so that it is shining from behind and over my left shoulder onto my work space. Bizarrely the model he sold me also has an adjustable 4 inch diameter magnifying glass which you can swing into action as well. Not cheap....£150ish if I recall correctly, but it seems to have fixed all of my issues. An investment which I think has been worthwhile.

The model I have is a swan floor lamp made and sold by Daylightcompany....just google them and you will find their website.

Chico

My eye sight is really bad dew to problems with Diabetes, and I recommend rather then using a magnifying glass get a Daylight lamp (Mine cost £15 fro John Lewis)

Thanks for the advice all. Yes I see that improved lighting may also be needed. I paint at night and sometimes I do struggle with the light I have. What I've noticed over the past few months is that I can't focuss on things very close to my eyes. Time for an eye test I think... :?

Thantsants

My wife knocked mine off my desk and broke it the other day :mad:

Mind you I rarely use the magnifier bit - I find it a bit disorientating to paint looking through it.

Back